V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking to buy a new bike. I have a 1991 Sportster but as a newbie I found it very difficult to ride. Vibration, clutch hard to pull in plus it is top heavy. I know guys like top heavy :) but anyway I passed my motorcycle safety test and got back on the sportster and needed something different as I said before. Went to the Long Beach Convention Center today where they had the new motorcycle show at . Wow got a look at all the bikes. Harley's are just way over priced. I talked to a few guys and mostly girls and they all recommended the Suzuki 650 Savage as a good starter bike. I got a price quote of $3900.00 not bad. I could afford that. What do you think? I just want something I can start out on that I'm comfortable riding then I will bump up. But I'm going to sell the sportster later down the road along with what ever new bike I get as a learner bike and then utlimately settle on something a lot nicer. Any suggestions?

Cheri aka Medicine Woman

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
Haven't heard from you in while Cheri, I think the savage or the yami virago is a great choice. You may not need spend 4k on it the resale is pretty low for these bikes, you should be able to get a used bike with very low miles for about half that. give you some extra cash for chaps

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DJW - I the past two months my favorite aunt died have'nt gotten over that one. The company I worked for moved (that took a month) and the latest was my ex died in a freak parachuting accident so I went up to Oregon for that for a week. But I'm back now. And hitting the HD Forum again. I'm going to look into those two bikes. I thought about the yami - Virago. Thanks again.

Cheri - Aka medicine woman

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
There is a small, middle-aged woman who rides in our group group along with her husband. She rides a 1100 Virago and does quite well with it.......low seat height and low center of gravity.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thealien said:
Cheri, sorry about all your misfortune........good luck on your bike decision, ride safe and stay around. We were concerned about you !!!
Thanks again, yeah the last time I posted I had passed my safety class. I was wondering maybe everyone thought I took my bike out and lunched it. Sorry for not responding sooner. I also will post catalina cruise pictures that I promised.

Cheri aka medicine woman

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Glad to see that you are settling down from all the rucus and getting ack to some leisure time for YOU Cheri. Both the Yami and the Suzuki's are great bikes IMO. My brother rides the Shadow 650 and it is a great starter bike as well. Go and sit on them and check them out for yourself if you can find a test ride and choose the rider that suits your comfort zone both physically and financially. Glad to see ya back and find you doing well once again. My you have a long solid stretch of good fortune throughout the holidays and forward.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
Cheri I have to agree with FXDeanX, My beginner bike is a Hugger. They sit about 26 to 27 inches high, but lowered it 1 to 2 inches. So if a Hugger can be lowered, I'm sure your '91 is possible. My lowering kit only cost $78. Keep in mind, I'm only 5'1' tall. Look for some brackets for the forks to minimize the vibration (just a thought) and get that clutch looked at. Those seem minor. The money you save can go on your dream bike. PS I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. If you need girl advice I'll be a post away.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the information. When I woke up this morning I decided I do not want to get rid of the sportster I could have some work done on it to make it easier to ride. But I'm still thinking of buying another bike for the beginner bike and put some miles on that. A friend of mine is going with me to dealer ships and I'm still looking at used bikes that are reasonably priced. Will keep you posted

Cheri aka Medicine Woman

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Cheri,

My sincere condolences are extended to you and yours. As for your decision to keep the Sporty, I concur. Why go backwards? You've already took the depreciation hit on this bike. No sence in adding to your monetary losses by purchasing something the market is already flooded with. Customizing and personalizing your current ride is the way to go. Move up to a Big Twin when you're ready. Godspeed...

SS

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Have you thought about the Yamaha XVS Drag star?
Used ones are relatively inexpensive compared to HD's
But still 'have' that look.....

Use, abuse then dump for a real one. :D
or the 1100 version

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now those are real sweet looking. I'm keeping the sporty and will put some money into it. Still looking at a beginner bike something I could possibly hand down to my daughter after I'm through with it. I really like the look of those two bike tho.... thanks for the pics.

Cheri aka medicine woman

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cheri:
My wife rides an '87 Virago 535 V-twin, shaft drive. It is peppy, comfortable, handles well, vibration-free, sits low and has a low CG.
She loves it! It is a great starter bike for a gal. You can pick these up now in good shape for about $1800.
Good luck, and keep riding - it is the best therapy!
Bob

·
Registered
544 Posts
I guess you have to watch posting picture of your wife's Virago, can do that on just any web site.
:D

Dave

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
(sp) Virago=Man like Woman :eek:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts