V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I would like to say hi to everyone, I am new to the Forum. I think this forum is very informative, especially for a soon to be owner of an 03 Fatboy who doesn't know anything. I have a couple of questions regarding the changing of the stock exhaust. (1.) should you put a certain amount of miles on the bike first, or is it alright to have aftermarket pipes put on before any miles are put on the bike? (2.) My 03 is FI, and I read somewhere on another forum that you have to have the FI adjusted, if so, is that expensive.

Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
about 160 for a reflash
New bike new pipes no probs.
If you wait till after 1000 miles you can open her up.
then after stage 1 is done you got some thing to compair to.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
You should also know that unless you put the screaming eagle (or other high flow) air cleaner on when you do the less restrictive pipes...you aren't really gaining much....you need to open up both ends to let it breath right. Stage 1 in Harley terms on an EFI bike is: Less restrictive pipes or mufflers, a less restrictive air cleaner assembly and an EFI reflash. Do them all at once now or later.

For selfish reasons I'd like you to do it later so you can report on the differance....most of us do it at delivery and very few people are able to report on just how much differance in performance they feel.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can tell you the difference it made in mine as far as performance. Hardly anything at all. I just traded my '00 Heritage (carb) on an '01 Road King Classic. Prior owner got sick and it only had 500 miles on it. It was all stock and I couldn't stand the sound (or lack of it). I put Kerker slip ons on, but I took about 80% of the packing off of each baffle. Bike ran the same, but sounded better. I then had a dealer install the Stage I kit and had the reflash. Dealer told me it would really make a difference in the way the bike runs. I really can't tell any difference. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any complaints about how the bike runs. If I didn't think it was a good idea to open up both ends instead of the back, I probably would have just gone with the new pipes.

If any of you guys had your bikes stock and made similar modifications, let me know if there was any noticeable change in performance. If so, maybe there was something wrong with the reflash, if that's possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Tbirris,
The pipes/air cleaner/map trio made a huge difference from stock on my bike. Before that it seemed like it wouldn't build up any revs.

·
Registered
494 Posts
This may be a little of an apples/oranges comparison, but I thought it was interesting. I recently demoed an '03 EFI Heritage and a '03 carbed Wide Glide. The Heritage had SE II slip-ons, SE intake and Stage 1 reflash. The Wide Glide was bone-stock. I rode both bikes about 15 miles over the same roads, one right after the other. While the Heritage sounded better, the WG was noticably stronger. The bikes had low miles on them, so I didn't run them high into the RPM range, so I'm primarily referring to the "torque feel" - the Heritage may very well have felt stronger at higher RPM's (when HP plays a bigger role), but since they were not my bikes (and even if they were), I kept it civil. I've heard that the HD stage 1 reflash still keeps a watchful eye on keeping the EPA happy, so maybe a Power Commander or the HD Race Tuner would be the way to go instead. But to sum it up, I was not impressed with the ~ $500 worth of HD go-fast options.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I think the bike runs great. I think the EFI Road King has much better throttle response than the carbed Heritage I had, which had the Stage I and Python IIIs. It was just that I was expecting to see a difference after the Stage I and remap on the EFI. I thought about getting a Power Commander next spring, but it runs good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Stage 1 install

Mark,
I run a carbed '02 FLHT, so can't say anything about EFI performance, but, having the Stage 1 stuff put on before taking delivery on the bike gave me an increased warranty on all of it. If you do get the Screaming Eagle air cleaner, make sure it's one which vents the head vents so you don't get the oil drip from the air cleaner. (supposed to be a newer SE backing plate which should take care of this annoyance)
Check this out with your dealer. You may decide to do it that way (before delivery).
For my carbed model, the Stage 1 gave me approx. 10 hp and 10 foot pounds over stock. Increases in useful rpm ranges. I seldom run over 4000.
Good rides,
Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just snagged a 2003 blk/whi anniversary FLHRCI Road King Classic. Vance & Hines slip ons from the dealer along with stage 1. Can't tell you if there will be any difference as I'm breaking the bike in. Get it all at once including flash, exhaust, air filter...blah blah. pipes sound good...Rubber side down!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Clarify

Reading my last post, I think I may mislead with the 4000 rpm figure.
My peak Hp is at 4400, but the increase affects the ranges I typically run in, below 4000.
Ok, my conscience is clear now. . . LOL
Good rides,
RainRider :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Just found this thread buried in the archives but found it interesting due to myself being in the same spot.

I'm taking delivery of a 2003 FLHRCI real soon and have been debating when the best time would be to change out the OEM mufflers. For now I've decided to wait till after the breakin period (if and when spring ever gets here). The biggest reason I decided to wait is that the stealer who'll do this has a chassis dyno and can test the set-up. I really don't want him taking the motor to full power till then. When I do change up, I'm going to ask him to dyno it both before and after to really see if any significant engine perf was gained (or lost). Right now I'm looking at either V & H or SE slip-on's with the stg 1 kit (and re-programming). Any comments???

Till then, I'll listen in and also plan to let ya'll know what I do finally decide and how it all turns out.

:cool: :D :cool:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I took delivery of an '03 injected Heritage Classic in late fall, put about 850 miles on it and am now deciding which pipes to go with and will also have stage 1 and remapping done...I am pretty sure I will be going with V&H Bigshot staggereds....unfortunately we are experiencing a lot of days where the temp is only about 10 degrees so it will be awhile before I can report any change in performance.....

·
Registered
203 Posts
IBEW,

Too bad you are not in Arizona where we have been enjoying the 70's!
I anticipate taking delivery of 03 Heritage FI in February. Maybe you will have your Big Shots on by then. I will be intereseted in hearing what you think as I have been thinking of the same pipes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts