V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this forum, and would like some advice. I am planning to buy a bike this winter... I plan to ride long distances next summer. Here are the choices that I have come up with...

a 2001 Fatboy with 770 miles on it, a windshield, driving lights and a backrest, for $19,995

a 2002 Fatboy completely stock, that has 500 miles on it for $19,995

a 1995 Heritage Softail with 11875 miles on it for $14,995

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments or whatever?

Thanks

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Brand new 2003 Road King Classic $17,500 or
Brand new 2003 Honda Goldwing $17, 600,

Why buy any of those other bikes? Your location of "R" doesn't lend much help, but I'm guessing you aren't aware of the resale problem with Harleys. You will seldom make a better deal for a used one than you will for a new one. The prices you list above a VERY high at that.

Also, No reason to buy a fatboy for long distance riding either. I see this is your first post, Frenchy, take some time to read through some posts here which cover these topics very well. Meanwhile put your money away.

PS, if you do want to throw some serious jack away please talk to me first, I'll make you a "hell of a deal."

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
A Bike Is Worth What Someone Will Pay

french750, DJW wisely points out to you that the prices you are being offerred are HIGH. Take a look at www.kbb.com for a good (but rough) idea of what is typical wholesale and retail prices for bikes.

IMHO, both Fatboys are overpriced. While everyone has their own opinions, Fatboys are not generally known as long distance bikes. It may not make a difference to you, however, many riders prefer the newer TC-88 platform to the older platform used by the Heritage. And some swear by the Evo, so that may be a wash.

Take your time before you buy. You'll find a lot better deals out there that you're finding so far.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you're planning on long distances as your post said, you probably really should look into the touring line. Personally, my Road King fits the bill for distance riding.

-jeff

·
Registered
428 Posts
I rented a Fatboy while I was in Las Vegas this past year. I put about 500 miles on it in the 24 hours I had it. Most was out in the desert, up in the hills, with some cruising in town thrown in. It was fun on the strip, but any sort of distance kinked me up, especially my back.

My own Road King is so much more comfortable to ride. I do have the Heritage bars on mine, I know this probably makes a difference for me as well as the Mustang solo sseat.

I have extra leather bags for my RK, and with the windshield off, looks a bit more like a cruiser than a bagger. But then I am biased too.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Long distance.Can you say Ultra or Road Glide.I have the Ultra and it is great.Thinking about a new Roadglide now.Rocky

·
Registered
688 Posts
After much thought, Hmm$$$$, and researching all the different models. I have come to the conclusion that the FLHRCI that I bought will last me well into my geriatric years, and not beat me up like the sporty I once owned (back ain't what it used to be). Take your time,do the research, and buy what makes you feel good cause you are the one that will be riding it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Frenchy750 - RK is your best bet . . you can't go wrong with it ...TC 88...change out the seat and you''ll be very please for those long rides solo or with a rider.

Ride safe...ride hard.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
HAVING HAD SOFTAIL AND TOURING MODELS, IF YOU PLAN ON A LOT OF ROAD CRUISIN YOU ARE GONNA WANT THE BAGGER. LIKE OUR ITHER BROS SAID CHECK PRICES, LIST ON THE FATBOY AND THE HERITAGE ARE BOTH AROUND 17500 NEW. CHECK AROUND AND YOU CAN COME UP WITH A DEALER THAT WILL NOT RAPE YOU. A FRIEND OF MINE IN MINNESOTA JUST PICKED UP A NEW ROAD KING FOR 17800 AT A DEALER. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. HAPPY MOTORIN

1 - 10 of 10 Posts