V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to jump on chiselcht's thread, but HIPPO brought out a point that I would like elaborated upon. He stated about filling the steering head(or something like that) full of grease to eliminate water from collecting inside it; since, there isn't much put in from the factory. What other little jobs can be done to a new bike that will help lower maintenace and eliminate problems in the future? Thanks to all that respond. Peace. J.T.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

I've found to my cost that I should'ave taken the heat shields off the exhaust, and painted 'Underneath' with 'Hamerite' (rust preventative) to stop them rusting away at the clamp brackets.
With our weather they corrode quite quick.

And pull the relays under the seat (RK) and slap some D'lectric grease around the wiring, one of mine (power relay) corroded and broke underneath from salty water getting thrown up off the back wheel.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
HarleyHog brought up a good point about dielectric grease. I've always taken apart every connector and relay on the bike, sprayed with a good electrical cleaner, then put dielectric grease on them. I firmly believe it's saved me a lot of problems over the years.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys so far, but what is dielectric grease? I assume I can get it at an autoparts store. J.T.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But....what is it? Thanks. J.T.

·
Registered
575 Posts
It is a clear grease that protects the connections from corrosives, but does not interfere with electrical conductivity....

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Dielectric grease

fearnot69 said:
Thanks for the replys so far, but what is dielectric grease? I assume I can get it at an autoparts store. J.T.
Dielectric grease is a special grease used for electrical connectors. It helps prevent corrosian, water intrusion and other things that degrade the electrical connection. It is does not absorb moisture, but rather blocks it.

Water, loose connections and corosion all cause high resistance connections. As the resitance goes up heat at the connection goes up and they system has to work harder to get the proper voltage and amperage to the load (light). Enough heat and you get a componet failure at the least or a electrical fire.

It can be purchased at most auto parts stores, and electrical supply stores.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I also changt the trans and primary oil every oil change.I do it at 2000 miles.My son is a HD wrench and thats what he recommends.Rocky

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
By the way, every Harley dealer that I've been to, also stocks dielectric grease on the shelf.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool, gentlemen. Thanks so far and keep 'em coming! Helps us FNGs. J.T.

·
Registered
206 Posts
therocks -

Does that reflect if one uses synthetic oils?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts