V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new stock 03 Fat Boy with 1000 miles on it. I have noticed since I got it that if I take my hands off the bars, even momentarily, the bike seems to what to lean left always. Now, I do not make a habit of riding with no hands, but I never sensed this problem with my rigid frame Sportster's or Dyna's. They always seemed to hold a very staight line. This is my first Softail. It is really not a big problem ,and I do not notice it when riding normally, but since it is going in for its 1000 mile maintenance I just wondered if I should have them look at it........or is this just normal with Softail models.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
jaeco57 said:
I have a new stock 03 Fat Boy with 1000 miles on it. I have noticed since I got it that if I take my hands off the bars, even momentarily, the bike seems to what to lean left always.
Your bike is obviously a liberal...strange for a harley

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
The 03 softails have a change made to center the rear tire in the fender so a larger tire can be used, the tire was moved to the right which would put more weight on the left of the centerline of the front and rear tires. This may or may not be the reason the bike pulls to the left

·
Registered
42 Posts
jaeco57,

I picked up an '03 Fatboy on monday and went out for a nice ride tonight, aside from freezing my ass off, I thought of this post, and decided to see if mine did the same. I hovered my hands over the handle at different speeds, and mine does the same thing. No matter what speed I'm at, the bike wants to lean and turn left. Maybe hdxlr8r is right? I have no idea, just wanted you to know you weren't the only one.

--John

·
Registered
515 Posts
Straight and true on a 160. Might be your wallets. It doesn't sound right that your scoots wanna lean and pull.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If it's not from the slope in the road (the way they build roads so water will drain off) , a difference in tire air pressure or leg / knee pressure on the seat or gas tank, then I would have it checked.
That would be an uncomfortable feeling if my bike started to drift. If you find the answer please let us know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
upadate..........took it in for 1000 mile maintenance and had dealer (who I trust) check this out. He said during the test ride it ran straight and true. I am just going to leave it since I usually keep my hands on the bars and it does not bother me at all when driving normally.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts