V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys
I have a few questions and needs some guidance. I have a FLHX 2008, I just got my 1000 miles the other day and would like to do some basic customizing on it. I want to add some custom slip ons. What do I need to do to accomplish this? Do I have to get a race tuner? Do I need to get a heavy breather with download or can I use a Power Commander? I have been hearing a lot of different things. The slip ons would either be Rineharts or Vance/Hines. I dont want to break into the engine yet. Any advice?

Carl

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
If you're only adding slip-ons, you don't need anything else. If you going to air an air cleaner, you will need some sort of fuel management. Since it's an '08, the only thing available now is a HD download or a race tuner.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
If your doing slip-ons , do the stage 1 at the same time, it's prudent to balance mods.

PC III 's have been good in the past , but with the new EPA regs, SERT is a bit better way to go for now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everytime I speak to a Harley tech, they tell me that Power Commander fails and is no good for harley. They will not even touch it. Is this true? I had a power commander on my 2006 Fatboy and had no issues with it. I just spoke to my harley Tech and he informed me that all I need to do I do a Race tuner and Rinehardt slip ons. I dont even have to do a air cleaner. Does this sound right?

Carl

·
Registered
70 Posts
go to v twin engine mod forum

go and look around in the archives in the engine mods. your posting in the general ?'s there is alot to read to keep ya busy for awhile.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Harley techs tell you that so you will buy Harley stuff. There is nothing wrong with the PCIII.

Since you live in NoVA, give Devil Dawg Custom Cycles a call. Ask for Will, he can dyno tune with PCIII or SERT. He can also give you recommendations on parts and such.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I have the SERT but if I were to do it again I would get the PC. Down here in Greensboro, 2 dealers only work with the SERT the third only uses to PC. IMO if the dealer is going to do your work find out what they are most comfortable with and go with that. The TUNE you get is ONLY as good as the person doing the tuning. Use what they know best.
If all you want is a better sound put the slip-on's on it and ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts