V-Twin Forum banner

New big bore kits for the Street 500 & 750

25K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Tye 
#1 ·
Hey guys!! We are new to the forum and i wanted to get your opinion on the new 550 and 800 big bore kits we have for the Street 500 and 750's. What do you think??

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
1000 or stay home.

I own an XG 750

#4 ·
You are right you would need a new outter casting to go that big and you would also have to bore the cases for a 1000cc. We did the big bore kit, air cleaner, Bassani Slip on, and Power commander and went from 52hp and 43tg to 60hp and 48tq. We are waiting for some cams to come in and we are hopping soon!! As for compression we went from stock 11:1 to 11.5:1cr

#6 ·
So what price to add 8 HP?

#10 ·
It's a 20% gain for that displacement. It is an overhead cam and we are waiting for a cam to come in and see what it does. Also there is no head work done to this either and that is coming soon as well. Not sure why the MoCo did not go that big to begin with... good question!

#11 ·
Because of the target demographic the bike was developed for;

Countries with CC stepped licenses, countries with lots and lots of riders doing very short distance commutes and as a smaller European college ride.

And they sell it in the USA to the dealers for the motorcycle courses. Plus they are hoping the hipsters might like it. Judging from the ads I have seen.

They sure hit the size on the head as it sells like mad overseas.

Bottle the thing for cheaper HP on call when you need it.

The real problem you run up against is the fact this one is a single overhead cam. If this followed the Revolution with the double cam you could flow the shitt out of the system. Single, not so much without boost.

#17 ·
I am aware, I own that version too. 1130cc VRSCA 2003. Great motor nice bike.

#18 ·
So far it is a good engine. No problems at all. It has a redline stop but you can pin it close and it won't over heat.

I like the machine. But after 500 miles my son borrowed it and I only see it for maintenance cycles. And when it "needs" something.

#19 ·
Horsepower isn't cheap!

I built dyno winning big twin HD's in Calif and the heads alone were $3,000 each. A complete HP engine is very expensive.:nope:

**** It's about bragging rights and this little big bore kit alone will allow you to outrun your stock friends:D

The price seems reasonable to me{salute(

Keep jobs in America and keep our people employed:yes:

Sam:blink:

#21 ·
The 500 can be upped to a 550? And, the 750 to a 800? Can the 500 get the 800 Kit? That's the only way it seems worth it to me. You can pay the Insurance for a 500cc Bike and actually be riding a 800cc Bike; that's cool... And, the price difference, between the 500 & 750, makes it worth your while, if you plan on keeping your Bike for the long term...

Why just increase a bore by just 50cc; that's a waste of funds, to me? These come with what, about 40hp? Give them 80hp with a big bore kit that includes intake, cams, cylinders, gaskets, exhaust, and anything else you would need to do the conversion at home, in your own Garage; that would be something... And, do it for less than a grand...

If HD did something like that, these would become super popular among those that are starting out and those on a budget and need a Bike they can maintain and repair on their own. But, it would be important for HD to not get greedy and start taking advantage of their popularity and start charging too much for their "Budget" Bike... I believe price is key to this one's success; HD needs to keep it super easy to purchase, customize, modify, maintain, and repair. If they do that, with this one, they will have a new "Winner" to add to their "Classic" line of Bikes... :)

Peace, Stiletto :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.