V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
03 FLHTCUI
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking the scoot up to the Dealers tomorrow to schedule 25,000 service. Original owner started riding the bike in mid-2003. He put 200 miles on it, the Dealer repo'd the ride(something about wanting to get paid), and he (Dealer) put another 600 miles on it. I bought it in late 03, and started riding in February, 2004. Its always been garaged, has had a battery tender on it during the winters, but I have got a lot of electrical stuff on it. OK, here is the question. Should I replace the battery, even though it shows OK? I'm not sure I should be concerned about this, but as a preventive maintenance step?? Appreciate any advice.

Ride Safe.
Walt

G

·
Walt,

Batteries tend to be either god or bad. It's not so much a matter of time as maintenance. Sounds like yours has been well maintained. I wouldn't replace it at this point.

Harris

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Harris said:
Walt,

Batteries tend to be either god or bad. It's not so much a matter of time as maintenance. Sounds like yours has been well maintained. I wouldn't replace it at this point.

Harris
I agree. You might get another few years out of that battery, or it could go dead tomorrow. Battery life is one of those things that's hard to predict - i've seen them go bad in just one year. Most people just wait till they die before replacing.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I found they "give notice" prior to checking out...except when they don't. If its holding a charge, ride it.

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
The $70.00 for the new battery is cheaper than the tow truck, and you can change it at your leisure, not when IT wants to be changed. I change mine every 2 years or so.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
I bought my bike new in 2003 and it still has the same battery on it. I keep it on one of the HD tenders that shuts off when the battery is charged (I keep my HD Security on when in garage) and it always fires right up. Should I start getting some hesitation then I will replace it. So far so good so I am not going to fix what isn't broken at this point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been replacing the battery in each vehicle I own every five years, like clock-work. I've had an electrical problem in my old ride (Virago 750) which occasionally would leave me stranded. Talk about an unwelcome surprise. I have also had to give a lift to someone else because their electrical system failed (another Yamaha...unrelated to battery). I don't know if replacement every five years is called for, technically. I see it as "insurance" to avoid an inevitable hassle who's timing will be aweful--It's gonna happen when you want to ride. So, I'm planning on buying a new battery for my 01 FXD.

Any suggestions on who to get the battery from?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts