V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 Fatboy. I left it stored for 2 months and the battery died. It still had enough juice to turn on the lights and alarm but would not turn over the engine. I took out the battery and charged it. When I put the batt back in I get no electrical powe at all. I have checked and rechecked the cables, and everything is connected and tight. If anyone has seen this or know what stupid mistake I am making I would appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Although you may think you restored the battery by charging it, you now want to have the battery checked for Cold Cranking Amps as you may have dead celled it.
A 9 battery flashlight produces 12V on a voltometer as we all know but it wont crank a bike over.
If the battery is dead celled it may have sh1t the bed when you reconnected it.
Any autozone or local auto part store can check your battery for free.
At the same time (before pulling battery) check the main fuse and fusebox for blown fuses or busses.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
And when you get it solved, buy a battery tender and leave it plugged in when out of use for more than a couple days. You likely won't have to worry about another battery for 7 years if you take care of it. I have about 5 years on mine and it still cranks great. I ride most every day between April and November...then she gets put on a battery tender for the winter.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
what sorta battery seahag, i only get about 2 years, but put in a gell oddessy a couple of years ago, still going strong, gotta love maintenance free

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
I'm running the stock HD battery in my glide...same one that came with it in April of 2001.:D

My father in law is using the same battery that came with his glide in August 2000.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
hmmm, my bike was built early nov and i bought it early jan, can't remember if battery was with bike or dealer supplied, it was an hd battery though. this was in 92, so maybe factory batteries are better now

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
bonnie john said:
hmmm, my bike was built early nov and i bought it early jan, can't remember if battery was with bike or dealer supplied, it was an hd battery though. this was in 92, so maybe factory batteries are better now
They definitely are. HD went the route of gel batteries in late 90's. Didn't work out too good. They have been using an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery since 1999 on some bikes and 2000 on all bikes. The AGM battery is a sealed lead-acid battery and has proven to be the best I've ever seen in 50 years.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Ed Y said:
They definitely are. HD went the route of gel batteries in late 90's. Didn't work out too good. They have been using an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery since 1999 on some bikes and 2000 on all bikes. The AGM battery is a sealed lead-acid battery and has proven to be the best I've ever seen in 50 years.
@gree: The H-D AGM is a superb battery!

T113

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Battery cable?

You may want to check your hot cable to make sure that its not broke. When I was tring to sell my 1200 I thought that the battery had died. I replaced it and still nothing but when I moved the cable around it came off in my hand. The way that it was pinched along with the current from the battery destroyed it.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the advice. I will take the batt back to Auto Zone and have it tested. I will let you all know the outcome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts