V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove around town today looking at different handlebars for my RK.

I saw Chubby 508's & 518's. I saw HD Beach bars. I saw White Brothers' Bikini and Beach bars....etc, etc...

I'm looking to stop reaching so much. I have a Corbin Classic Solo, which sits a "little" further back than the stock seat. I'm only 5'10".

The chubby's felt good - the owners let me sit on their bikes. The HD Beach Bars(on a friends RK) are still too far to reach. The White Bro Beach bars are nice, good pull back, but just a little too wide...

The price I got for the chubby's or the White Bro Beach installs, with appropreate length cables and new grips...was a sick 761.00. Ouch....

I know that bars are a matter of taste and budget, but if any of you guys have some comments, I'd really like to hear them. Especially if you're height is about the same as me.

To spend that much on bars, I'd like to have some other opinions...negative or positive on the chubby's or the Beach Bars...

Thanks....Buckethead...

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
May not work for you but I've put stock Heritage bars on quite a few RK's for guys in your situation. No cable or wiring changes necessary. And sure don't cost $700+. Check them out and do some measuring.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I bought my chubby 508's for 125.00 and installed them myself. I didn't have to change any cables etc, the stock ones fit. It's not that big of a deal to install the bars and the internal wiring is easy also. If I had to spend 700.00 for new bars I'd still be riding with the stock ones.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2002 RKC with the Chubby 508's. Love them. The bars cost me $125 and the installation which was done by my dealer was another $120. I don't know where you got the $700 price from but it sounds like someone is trying to take you for a ride.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 02 RCI and had the 518's installed. The installation is the expensive part unless you do it your self. As you know the bars are +-$150, the cables will fit, but the wires need to be extended so they are not tight. Some will tell you that this is not necessary, but thats for you to decide.

Installation, with splicing new wires for the harness package to the bars, takes between 4-6 hours. If you are paying someone to do it, do the math.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I installed the bars myself on the Rk. bout 4 hours. have to go through the headlight assembly . I didn't splice the wires and they are a tight fit. but a fit nonetheless. make sure you make a little diagram of the wire configuration in the connector housing which needs to be taken apart so you can slide the wires through the bar (if you don't splice). pretty simple just takes a little time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies...

Yup...the 700+ was a quote from 3 different HD Dealerships here in town...

It's a lot of labor to purchase and "re-do" all the cables...plus the actual bar replacement.

I wish had the balls to try it myself...I've managed to mess up plenty of my toys trying to do things, when I clearly don't have the talent...

I figure the comfort will be a big enough improvement to justify the cost. Where's Santa when I need him.

Anyone out there using beach or bikini bars??

Bucket...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Buckethead, Ain't you got a friend that's somewhat handy around bikes? Changing bars would be a fun afternoon project, not to mention a heck of a savings to do it yourself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Buckethead,

I just purchased the HD Heritage Bars for around 38.00 chromed from my dealer. I did not want to tackle the job either but did and it was a breeze. No cable change, I did put new nostalgic grips on.

I purchased the Clymer manual for the Rk's for 23.00 from Wyoming Bens at:

http://www.wyomingben.com

And if you want, just email me, and I can send you some notes to walk you through the project that I made, believe me it is not that hard:)

I am 6' foot but have a bad back and wanted to sit up straighter and these bars are great! I know alot of guys prefer the chubbys, but I can tell you from my experince with the Heritage bars they are great.

Here is a picture of them, I originally had the "riser" of the bars inline with the forks, rode it for about 500 miles and decided to rotate them back about an inch, and it is the perfect fit and feels great on the back, arms and shoulders!

http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/sglide/bikebarse.jpg

I know with a little help you can do it yourself, and save hundreds to spend on other projects:)

Good luck and give me an e-mail if you need any questions answered or the notes.

Stay Safe
Sglide(Ernie)
2002 FLHRI FFSE

·
Registered
36 Posts
Heritage Bars

Bucket,
Use the chrome heritage bars and use the savings to chrome the control and switch housings!!! I'm going to do it tomorrow. I'll let you know how difficult.
Doesn't seem to difficult if you take your time. Mark the clutch adjuster nuts and you should be fine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sleddog...let me know how it goes...

I see you're in Florida...perhaps I'll hook up with you after you've completed the bar install. Gimme' some lessons in doing it right...

Everyone rotates those Heritage bars back a little...you gonna' do that?

Check this RK out...Those bars "really" come back to you...

http://www.indianmc.com/02roadking.html

Bucket...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bucket
Yeah, I'm going to pull'em back. To far to reach without doing it. I'm off to Ocala HD (25% off parts today) to pick up the chrome controls and stuff. I'll post a pic when it's done.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Buckethead,

I have the Burly Beach bars by White Bros. They have so much pullback I needed the Corbin seat that moves you back an inch or two. The bike is lowered 2" and looks very low and wide with them. They are very comfortable set with the cables just over the tank but at just under 4 feet lever to lever U turns and lane splitting can be a challenge. If I had to do it over I might get the Bikini Beach bars. A few inches narrower and less pullback. When riding in groups I've had buddies almost clip me at stoplights. I won't bother changing them but I do use extra caution when it gets crouded. If you'd like I can e-mail pics of my bike. Good luck.

KNZRHOG

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I also have the chubby 508's, 1 and 1/4" chrome w/ internal wiring and braided cables. Not sure of cost, (had chrome switch gear and other chrome stuff added at the same time). Cheaper than $700, more than some of the quotes here. Wasn't about to try it myself (local shop did it, a little trouble w/ wiring lengths and subsequent cruise control operation). Maybe installation is a piece of cake for some, but..........

Really love the bars. I am also 5'10", about 185 lbs. I do a lot of 4-500 mile days and the bars made ALL the difference in the world!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I odered the Chubby 518 on Monday and they got here yesterday. I read about the blems on here and ask the sells lady about it. Bought the blems for $106, if they hadn't cicled the area where the blem was I never would have found it. Saved tons of money and after I get them for my Christmas present I will install them myself. I took the week off between Christmas and New years so I can take my time and do it right.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay...Today I ordered the 508's and they'll be here next week. Also, the shop that's putting them on is calling me when they're ready to mount up.

I'm going in to the shop to try three different bars before they tighten them up...

I'll have my Corbin Classic solo with backrest on the bike, so I can get the right feel of which bar is good for me.

I'll try WB Beach bar...38.5 wide/12.75 pullback. After that I'll try the 508's, after that I'll try the Bikini Beach Bars 36 wide/10.25 pullback.

Whichever one feels right gets my money..

I'll let you guys know and do some pics too...

Thanks for all the input..

Buckethead...

·
Registered
224 Posts
I used the 508s and spliced the wires and all worked great. I did not like the look of my final brake line position. It was too stretched, so I got a braided and covered set . The brake line kit cost as much as the bars.
By far this is the best thing done for riding comfort.

In 99 the bars were different on the RK
In the new catalog I noticed new pullback bars for the RK.
Is HD reading our posts?
Frank

·
Registered
156 Posts
My back is still hurting from my first ride last week. Would be interested to hear from anyone who put on the new RK bars that are in this years cat. I think they claim 2 or 2 1/2 inch additional pull-back, but they also say they require new cables be purchased. From what I read here, Heritage bars fit without the new cables etc.

Scott
03 RKC

·
Registered
432 Posts
I started my project yesterday, Chubbie 518's, everything was going smooth until I got to the brake line/master. It looks like it might be too short. anyone know how I can get about 2" without having to buy a $138 brake line kits?
Dan

1 - 20 of 33 Posts