V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I am a new member to the forum here and i've got some questions for all of you. I'm interested in possibly building my own bike, and learing more in general. I am going to school to be a tool and die maker and to do some work with CNC stuff. My major intrest is in drag racing and building high performance engines. But this summer i've been to quite a few bike shows and swap meets and have become very intersted in bikes. I was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction of any books I could buy to just give me some idea's. For instance, what will fit, how to make it fit, what will work and what won't work. Or possibly if there are any good web sites that have some info to get me started with. I also have a welding tech. degree and was wondering if there are any plans out there for making your own frame? Thanks in advance for all your help!
Bill

·
Registered
544 Posts
Wow I surprised others haven't jumped all over this, answer is yes there are a number of sources available. But mainly they deal with what is available and not so much if one part will fit with another part made by someone else.

I’d start by get catalog like Custom Chrome and J&P Cycle, they both have an array of after market transmissions and engines and frames.

I even considered this route and looked into Patrick engines, big bucks, but it’s supposed to be the best you can get. Rev Tech and S&S also have engine available. I think Custom Chrome even has some kits they sell, which might be the way to go on the first one at least. Check out Performance Machine they have wheels and calipers. Also check out some of the bike magazines, some have special issues on parts to build your own bike. I know American Iron each year comes out with a special issue on after market parts, like six speed transmissions, frames, wheels the whole nine yards.

Building it would be a blast, but the ugly part is getting it registered and licensed. Most states driven by the insurance companies and motorcycle manufactures do not make it easy to register, title, nor insure a home built bike. You’d want to check into this before going too far. Because you can have $10K in an engine alone, not including the frame, solid frames are cheap, but then you do want to ride it, so shocks are nice but more bucks.

Heck you shoot me your address, (PM) I maybe able to find that issue of American Iron for you and mail it to you, if you are interested.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave,
Thanks for the reply....you answered many questions right there. I am seeing now that most custom bikes are just that......totaly custom. in other words they are not HD engines or trans. I am guessing though that whoever you get your frame from can let you know what it was more or less made for. Is their any pros/cons to say 6 speed over 5, or belt drive over chain? Do most engines bolt up with most trans or if I commit to a manufature do i need to stay with their trans. I will pm you my address here shortly.
Thanks for the help!
Bill

·
Registered
254 Posts
Bill,
Just food for thought but check with your DMV about what you'll need for title. Built a custom from scratch back in the early eighty's here in MA and because I could't prove ALL Parts were legitimate the DMV woukd not issue a title. Had to "sell" the bike to a buddy in FL have him title it and then "buy" the bike back and transfer the title to MA. Major pain in the a$$.
Rocko

1 - 4 of 4 Posts