V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the little details I wanted to straighten up this winter was the cracked little breather hoses that are on my Stage1 air setup. The more I looked at that setup the less I liked it. I run an exposed element and the way it looked just didn't suit me. I paged through the Drag Specialties catalogue and hunted around on line and didn't find anything that I liked better. I had decided to grind the humps off the backplate and send the thing out to get powdercoated in black (it is a Train after all) and rig up some ss tubing to replace the hoses. Saturday I am at the dealer looking down through the glass cabinet and there sits 29510-05 chrome backplate kit. Its on now and I like it. One big chrome piece. I may have to powdercoat it black next winter though.
 

·
The Anti-RUB
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
MegaGlide said:
They now make a black powdercoated one as well. :D
part # 29586-06
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thats good news and bad news. Bad in that I am gonna be buying another one and good in that my buddy's Low Rider will have a chrome one at a really good price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Won't this restrict or obstruct air flow for the Stage I setup?
Yes it looks cheesy but I thought HD left the back open and
setup that way to increase air flow.
If not then count me in on that back plate purchase.
 

·
The Anti-RUB
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
I don't think the black one will restrict anymore then the stock. The stock back plate is a wrinkle gray. Not smooth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
petrock said:
I don't think the black one will restrict anymore then the stock. The stock back plate is a wrinkle gray. Not smooth.
I was confused, I thought it was a different one and thinking it was going to enclose the setup like the stock setup.
I'm not sure if I'm liking the way the stage I setup is exposed to all the elements and am concerned about riding in bad weather like that.
 

·
The Anti-RUB
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
PickAttack said:
I was confused, I thought it was a different one and thinking it was going to enclose the setup like the stock setup.
I'm not sure if I'm liking the way the stage I setup is exposed to all the elements and am concerned about riding in bad weather like that.
No, the SE backplate does not cover the back of the A/C cover (football). That is open for better air flow etc. As for it being exposed etc, you have to remember that the stock setup also has a nice big whole in the front of the A/C cover to let air in. So rain/snow etc will also get in. Also, the A/C cover completely covers the SE air filter. So the only rain/snow that will get in there is stuff that bounces off the engine and goes out towards the A/C. The other thing is that a little bit of water getting into the air intake isn't bad. The engine will burn it off in the combustion changer with no ill effects. I wouldn't be too worried about it. If you run with the A/C cover removed, however, then i would be worried about it.

I've been caught in a couple decent rain storms on my bike and didn't notice any problems wth the bike. Road 50+ miles in pooring rain without a sputter.

Go to your local dealer and ask to see a bike with the Stage-1 A/C and check it out for yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
petrock said:
No, the SE backplate does not cover the back of the A/C cover (football). That is open for better air flow etc. As for it being exposed etc, you have to remember that the stock setup also has a nice big whole in the front of the A/C cover to let air in. So rain/snow etc will also get in. Also, the A/C cover completely covers the SE air filter. So the only rain/snow that will get in there is stuff that bounces off the engine and goes out towards the A/C. The other thing is that a little bit of water getting into the air intake isn't bad. The engine will burn it off in the combustion changer with no ill effects. I wouldn't be too worried about it. If you run with the A/C cover removed, however, then i would be worried about it.

I've been caught in a couple decent rain storms on my bike and didn't notice any problems wth the bike. Road 50+ miles in pooring rain without a sputter.

Go to your local dealer and ask to see a bike with the Stage-1 A/C and check it out for yourself.
Thanks for the info petrock, that makes sense.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top