V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have new 06 Street Bob that I plan on installing a SE 95" kit and 204 cams. I have 250 miles on the bike and would like to avoid changing the cam bearings, especially the inner one's. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Also, the back page of the instructions calls for checking the piston to valve clearance and valve to valve clearance, I will be using the HD SE head gaskets, is this neccesary with this set up??

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
Hmm, bearings are cheap and replacements are usually superior.

My advice is to dump the SE head gasket, as the 204 will like a Cometic .030 better. Those cams would even like a little bit more compression than the stock heads with flat tops, but not much more.

Clearancing is always cheap insurance, but with your gap, probably not necessary. If you are considering milling your heads don't go less than 83cc.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Hmmmm
The 06 Dyna does not use the same Torringtons as the other twin cams. Might take some research to get that replacement bearing to get rid of the Inas.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Am I confused? I thought the 06 dynas had a complete new cam chest setup and the old cams like 204 won't work in there.....

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
They have different cams for '06 Dynas.

SE-204 Cam Kit
This cam produces peak horsepower around 5800 RPM
and installation does not require any headwork or performance
valve springs. Should be used in conjunction with
open intake and exhaust. For race application only.

25149-00 Fits ’99-’05 Dyna, ’00-later Softail
and ’99-later Touring models. $269.95

25464-06 Fits ’06 Dyna models. $299.95

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still Researching

Thanks for everyone's input.

It was my understanding that Harley went with plain bearings for the 06 Dyna's, since the inners are still needle bearings that lead me to assume that the outer were plain bearings, ie automotive style. I went to the dealer today to see if they had done any 06 Dyna cam changes and they have not, to date. Then I went to the parts dept to look at the recomended cam service pack, I saw a lot of needle bearings, roller bearings etc.. but no plain bearings. I asked the helpful counter attendant to look and see if he had a listing for the outer bearings, they were not shown in his parts book at all. I will tear it down, see what I have and go from there. I guess this is what you get when you like to work on them more then ride them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Robert Chicoine said:
I have new 06 Street Bob that I plan on installing a SE 95" kit and 204 cams. I have 250 miles on the bike and would like to avoid changing the cam bearings, especially the inner one's. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Also, the back page of the instructions calls for checking the piston to valve clearance and valve to valve clearance, I will be using the HD SE head gaskets, is this neccesary with this set up??
My '06 FXDLI has the 95" jugs and 204 Cams, it was just dropped off at my house today. The bike is brand new, and not broke in yet. First (short) rides were very promising. Great idle chop. After I do the police bike break in procedure to seat the rings, I'll post to let everyone know how big the ****-eating grin on my face is:)

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
mahlerite said:
My '06 FXDLI has the 95" jugs and 204 Cams, it was just dropped off at my house today. The bike is brand new, and not broke in yet. First (short) rides were very promising. Great idle chop. After I do the police bike break in procedure to seat the rings, I'll post to let everyone know how big the ****-eating grin on my face is:)

You mean the permanent ****-eating grin? :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts