V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
$200 less than the Custom. Add the $320 optional laced wheels and it's $120 more than the Custom. Same weight as the Custom, same seat height as the Custom.
I'd buy the Custom.^rolleyez^

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Seat height is .3 lower...is that because of the badlander seat? If they were making a 1200 low what stopped them from making it the same seat height as the 883 low?

I also don't like that it has the mid mounted controls...I love the forward controls on my 1200 custom.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Judging from the video it looks like are targeting women with this bike.

I like everything about the bike and would even consider trading my 883, but wondering if it has the cat in the muffler.

·
Banned
873 Posts
Are they running out of ideas at H-D? It's like a bakery...you want a chocolate cake with white icing or chocolate icing? Sprinkles or coconut? Same cake, different toping. Same bike, different configuration. But not a very imaginative one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looks good to me! Like the wheels and the black/chrome combo. And as a short guy, I like the mid-mounts and low seat height and the pullbacks. I had to do lot of mods to get the riding/sitting position in my FXST good enough for a shorty like me. Makes me wonder, if anyone would wanna buy my softy... ;)

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I like the mid controls. my wife has a custom and to be honest I don't like them as much as the mid controls with a set of highway pegs. I also like that it has a bigger tire on the front for handling reasons. this is a better beginer bike than the custom and maybe that's what they're after. I agree that it's not very low though, just a lower seat.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
If you look closer at the specs the laden seat hieght is the same as the Custom. My wife upgraded from an 03 883 to an 05 1200C and she's a bit short. We both love the new 1200C way smoother , more powerful and low enough. She didn't care for the 1200L and I agree.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It looks OK and will probably sell, although I personally would have prefered the traditional smaller tank. What I would like to see however would be something styled like the new Triumph Bonneville Scrambler. Look at the regular Bonneville (which is beautifull) and compare it to the Scrambler. I'll bet most would prefer the Scrambler. All it would take would be a high exhaust, different bars and seat, perhaps even a skid plate. Rubber fork gaitors and rubber knee pads would be icing on the cake. These "Street Scramblers" were among the most popular of bikes in the 60's and well into the 70's. All they really were were street bikes with high pipes and universal tires. It was more looks than function. Even if they took the 883R (which almost everyone seems to like the paint scheme) and put a high exhaust on it to somehow complete the mimic of the competition XR-750 that the 883R starts. That's just my opinion though. At 5'10", 160# I don't need a low seat height which people a lot bigger than me simply can't seem to live without.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by roycrown
It looks OK and will probably sell, although I personally would have prefered the traditional smaller tank.
I agree. The peanut tank defines the Sportster as far as I'm concerned. I like low, but give me the 883L version, which features the peanut tank, then give me a 1200cc power plant. Until then, I'll keep mine.

·
Registered
733 Posts
MadCity said:
I agree. The peanut tank defines the Sportster as far as I'm concerned. I like low, but give me the 883L version, which features the peanut tank, then give me a 1200cc power plant. Until then, I'll keep mine.
I always thought the motor defined the Sportster. There have been many tanks on the XL's, the peanut being only one, and any of the new peanut tanks are too damn big anyway. Once they stretched the Peanut tank, it stopped being a true Sportster tank, at least by using some people's logic.

Love the 1200L. That new tank is the coolest thing the MOCO has done to the Sportster since the 1979 XLS Roadster, in my opinion. It just gives another option, and more options are a good thing.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm kinda surprised at the negative reactions expressed here. This isn't a bike for medium- and large-sized people. It should fit small-sized people just right. Harley makes lots of variations of lots of models. Some people will be thrilled that they put this combination of features together.

My wife is 5'-3" with a short inseam. The low seat height should allow her to flat foot it at a stop; the mid-controls should be easy for her to reach; the larger tank will mean fewer gas stops; the lighter weight means she'll be able to get it off the side stand more easily. It has ergonomics that may give her a feeling of confidence when riding. It's also less expensive than the V-Rod Nite-Rod, which she likes.

Now, Sportsters are top heavy and have a reputation of having hard seats. Those might be draw-backs, but the bike is worth a second look and a rental ride for those built to fit it.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
If they want to build a low 1200 sporty you think they would be able to get lower . The 883L , Low Rider , all Softails and the V-rod are all lower laden

·
Registered
316 Posts
nidan said:
If they want to build a low 1200 sporty you think they would be able to get lower . The 883L , Low Rider , all Softails and the V-rod are all lower laden
In order to make a sporty as low as the BT's you mentioned, they'd probably have to change the design of the frame to sink the seat lower.
The 883L has a slightly lower seat height only because it has slightly less padding in the seat itself. Compare the 883L and 1200L on the HD web site. They both have the same exact ground clearance of 4.4 in. My prediction is that this model is going to go over very well.

·
Banned
128 Posts
Looks like they at least shortened the front forks or put in shorter fork spings to keep the bike balanced looking front to rear. Something they didnt do with the custom. At least the bike isn't pointing upward like the custom, LOL!

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Xena said:
Judging from the video it looks like are targeting women with this bike.

I like everything about the bike and would even consider trading my 883, but wondering if it has the cat in the muffler.
According to early model year official HD literature (2 months ago), only the FRONT muffler on an 883 Low was to have a cat (AND Touring rigs!).

FYI, ALL domestic HD '06 Touring models have cats, as per same HD official literature quoted above.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts