V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, My first road bike. I bought a new 2003 Silver/Black XL1200C Sportster Wednesday, and it comes home today.

The only mods that I added were the Screaming Eagle mufflers/air cleaner/ and rejet.

I also bought a matching silver/black 100th Anniversary Helmet.

I'm not sure what I'm going to add next, but I am considering a detachable small windscreen and some sort of bag. Not sure if I want a sissy bar with a bag, or go with saddles. I kind of like the look without saddles.

I'm kind of bummed at the 50mph restriction for breakin, I live in a rural area where I'll get run over at 50. But what the heck.

Now, if the rain would only stop......

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
GaryG,

Welcome to the forum, and congradulations on the new Sportster. I'm sure your enjoy it.

The 50 mph restriction for breakin will be over before you know it.

When you get it make sure you post some pictures for all of us to see.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Congrats

50 mph is only for 50 miles then your good for 55 the rest of the break in if thats helps any.
In fact the closer you get to your 1000 mark the little harder you should run the bike. At 1000 miles & after the oil change dont go out & hammer it, but keep riding alittle harder as the miles add on. By 1200 miles your ready for the rev limmiter.

·
2003 1200 Custom S&B
37 Posts
Newbie/New 1200C

Gary, Congrats. My new Sporster 1200C Grey/Black is do to be shipped from Kansas City next Wednesday. I can't wait, guess I will have to. How long did it take yours to arrive at the stealers. They are telling me a couple of days. I am also getting tht SE II pipes and some extra crome. Taking the MSF course this weekend starting tonight. I am in North Carolina and plan on driving it back and forth to work seeing that I will be getting over 50 miles per gallon and my truck gets 12. Well good luck with you bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bike was in stock. Seems like all the local dealers had one. There were 3 local dealers with silver/black customs in both 1200 and 883. Enjoy yours too, I hope it shows up soon. Gary

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Couple Thoughts

GaryG, the custom is a pretty cool bike.

A couple thoughts: Lisa (huckelberry1) rode a 1200 XLC for a year. Of course, she added a windshield. She experienced a problem using the mirrors though. She went with short mirror stems--only some improvement. Eventually, she changed out the handlebars. If you're not having a problem with seeing images in the mirrors at speeds over 50, GREAT. If you are, at least think about changing out the mirros. Also, the drag bars look great; however, if you are going for longer rides and are "into" comfort, you may want to change out the bars to a set that more suits your riding style.

Enjoy your bike.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I wanna see pics. I love seeing new members pics of their brand new scoots. :D

Tom S.
'03 XL1200S White Pearl
"Cotton Picker"

·
Registered
74 Posts
If wou can't wait riding harder than foreseen during break in, have a look at www.sportsterg.org . Make a search in the archieves for breaking, you will find some theories and articles about "hard breakin".
Ride safe. Olivier

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My bike showed up today!!

The Harley trailer pulled into my drive this morning. Guess What he dropped off!!!

I am attempting to attach a picture.

Gary

·
Registered
193 Posts
AWESOME. Silver and black IS THE SH1T on a Custom! Great looking scoot. Congrats, ride safe.

Tom S.
'03 XL1200S

·
2003 1200 Custom S&B
37 Posts
Hey Guys & Gals, just got the word today that my 1200C Silver/Black 2003 was shipped out Friday the 8th instead of this Wednesday was up there at the stealers today and we went back in the dark room where they store all the new scoots that are done and we saw one just like mine back in the corner. We pushed and shoved are way around the other bikes and guess what. It was not mine, they said it would most likely come in tommorow.. Does anyone know if there is a way to monitor the shipping status on the internet by using the VIN, I did receive that today. Getting very excited dont know if I can wait much longer without exploding.

Richard
"03 XL1220C

·
Registered
193 Posts
It only takes 3 days or so to ship, you'll have it soon.

·
2003 1200 Custom S&B
37 Posts
New 1200C arrived late Tuesday. I have a spy that works at the stealers and he called me yesterday and said it was still sitting in the back room and he would call daily and give me and update. He just called a minute ago and said it was up on a lift and the pipes were being changed out and that it would most likely be done tommorow. I am down at Myrtle Beach looking at the ocean as we speak and will not be going home until Sunday. It looks like Monday will be pick up day but we have heard it will be raining. Do any of you guys or gals get your new bike's wet? Just kidding but I do know a guy who has a 883 that has never had water on it. Wipes the dirt off of it after every drive and keeps it in his house with at dust cover on it.

Richard

1 - 18 of 18 Posts