V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about taking a trip across Nevada next year. Never been there. Hwy 50 looks like a scenic route. I'm looking for anyone that has travel it and would like info on places to see, stop, what would be a good month (between June and Aug) to travel it, etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nor really

I traveled the entire length of Highway 50 from Lake Tahoe to I-15 in Utah. It is billed as "The lonliest hiway in America" and it really lives up to it's reputation. Over 500 miles and only 3 or 4 VERY small towns along the way, Ely being the largest. You have to be sure and get gas every time you can.
I wouldn't call it a scenic ride as most of it is desert with a few hills. Gets pretty desolate. Also have to be careful as it is an open range area.
Highway 50 was only part of my 7000 mile coast to coast trip a few years ago I can honestly say that except for being able to say I rode "The lonliest highway in America" it was a pretty boring part of my ride. I rode it the last week in May and it was pretty damn hot.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Sure, hwy 50 is a little boring, but if you don't ride it yourself, how will you really know.

I rode it across NV a few years ago going to 4 Corners. There are a few passes we went over that actually got a little cold in late August. there were only a few towns as was already said. FYI, Ely has a brothel.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
I rode 50 through Nevada last year. It's OK.

Ely's a fukken dump. Reno is far nicer and still has that small town feel.

The biker friendly hotel wasn't friendly when I was there.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Have traveled hwy 50 twice. Once in 2003 and again last summer. In 2003 stayed in Austin at biker friendly motel accross from a historic bar. Motel pretty bare bones but had a good time at the bar. Fairly new laundromat down the street so could do laundry while you drank.
In 2005 stayed in Eureka, very reasonable room rates and had a fantastic steak supper in steakhouse/bar on the north side of the street. Ate breakfast at the Hotel Nevada the next morning in Ely it was O.K. Sorry I don't remember the names of the places in Austin or Eureka, but you won't have any trouble finding them they are preety much the only thing in town.
Hwy 50 is pretty desolate but it sure beats the interstate and you can make at least as good time.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I moved to San Diego from northern Nevada (Reno) so I know the area (wife is from Elko). I would go in the spring or fall (spring if you can). It is just too hot in the summer to enjoy a ride across Hwy 50. Of the three months you listed June is good. July starts getting hot and August is just stupid hot out there. If you can get up early to ride I would because the desert is beautiful in the morning. Just amazing. The same goes for sunset. If you smoke cigars the evening would be an appropriate time for one.:thumbsup:
The folks out in the middle of the desert are rough around the edges but are cool for the most part.
There is not much out there so be prepared for lot of hwy. Are you going from W - E or E- W? If you go E- W then you will be richly rewarded by some of the most beautiful land in the world. Tahoe and the Sierra Nevada's are amazing (I miss them a TON).
Good luck and have fun!

james
'04 BMW R1150RT
'99 Ducati 900 Supersport

·
Registered
822 Posts
I rode Hwy 50 this past June when I did a trip from Colorado to California. My goal was to stay off as many major highways as I could. 50 certainly fit that bill. Not a whole lot to see, but neither is there much to see on 80. Just make sure to watch your gas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts