V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just turned 5 grand on my 02 hog and notice the neutral light does not illuminate anymore...Has anyone had this problem??? I would like to fix this myself if its an easy fix...otherwise it should be under warranty

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Seems to be quite common on 02's, mine does it also when it wants to. Appears to act like a sticky switch.
If the oil pressure light works normal the overwhelming odds are it is either a lazy, sticky or open switch.
It's right on top of the top gearbox cover and takes a minute to remove, just check it for continuity to ground.
If it turns out to be the switch the cost should be so minor it isn't even worth talking to the dealer about, much less putting the bike in the shop.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 2002 FLHT has had this as an ongoing problem with increasing frequency. A couple hours ago I pulled the connectors from the switch terminals and shot some electrical contact cleaner on all four surfaces and reconnected them and have a neutral light again. The connectors were a bit of a loose fit so I gave them an extra squeeze with the pliers and they now snap on. Now to see if this is a long term cure?

Now a couple days later and you can forget this as a fix, the problem is fully back. Checked with a VOM and the bulb and wiring check out OK, but the switch itself gives varying readings (it is supposed to be normally closed) it was rather loose so tightened it but the problems persist. Will put this on my warranty "to do list".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts