V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new bike home, well a 98 is new to me, anyway the guy who sold it to me told me of some minor issues, no biggy. One is the neutral light is out. Its been relamped, no help. Im thinking there is a sensor of some sort? I need to get a manual for this bike, any idea on that as well? 1998 FXSTC. Thanks.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
There should be a senor on the top trans cover. Check that as well a checking the socket for the bulb. I have had a couple of those go bad over the years on various bikes...hope this helps. I would really recommed getting the manual anyways.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
jetdoc said:
Just got my new bike home, well a 98 is new to me, anyway the guy who sold it to me told me of some minor issues, no biggy. One is the neutral light is out. Its been relamped, no help. Im thinking there is a sensor of some sort? I need to get a manual for this bike, any idea on that as well? 1998 FXSTC. Thanks.
There is a neutral switch on the transmission top cover. Make sure the wire is on it. To test the switch you need a Ohm meter or a continuity tester. With the bike not running and the neutral switch wire disconnected, connect the a test lead to the pin on the top of the neutral switch and the other to ground. When the bike is in gear you should have no reading. When the bike is in neutral it should show a short to ground. If it does, the switch is fine and you need to start looking for a wiring issue.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, I go to a website to order a Clymer and come back and already have two replies...thanks guys, I will check it out later today....

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
jetdoc said:
Man, I go to a website to order a Clymer and come back and already have two replies...thanks guys, I will check it out later today....
Don't waste your money, go get a HD factory service manual.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Clymer's not a total waste....except when you buy one and then a buddy gives you a HD manual the day after you get your manual in. :duh?:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually today when I turned it on I saw the green neutral light for a few seconds, then it went out. I will follow the troubleshooting tips you guys gave.

Too late for the Clymer, they are not too bad but yes they are inferior to a shop manual, which I am going to order. Know a good place?

The bikes seems very good to me, it has some minor issues, but what bike doesn't have at least some? Most are just annoying little things, like the forward exhaust pipes heat shield clamp vibrates and makes a noise.

I dont like the style handle bars, will be changing those out soom.

But so far, so good.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I finally got around to my neutral light. Actually I took a flashlight to find the switch on the transmission and what did I find? One of the wire connectors was just barely on the switch, thats why it worked intermittently.

Connected the wire, turned the bike on...bam, green light as advertised, bright and steady. I cycled it several times, good to go. Thanks for the help anyway guys. I did notice that if I ever have to change the switch its nice and buried.

·
Banned
871 Posts
jetdoc said:
Arg!!! As springer said, don't waste money on a Clymer, Haynes, or any other "non-factory" manual. There is a lot of missing and mis-information in them. ALWAYS use the HD Factory Service Manual for your year/model. ALWAYS! If you already have the Clymer, I guess they are ok as a second reference for the photos in them. Do not use the data or instructions though, or you might screw something up.

You can get a factory manual through your local stealership (naturally), or you can do a search with Google. There are several places to find them.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
sailordb said:
A light to tell you when you are out of gear....what will they think of next?
Might sound crazy, but I heard the new bikes even have a gauge that will tell you how fast you are going!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts