V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephew has a no start after installing a new pump. 2008 Low Rider. All stock. The bike sat by his brothers for a couple years and the tank got rusty. The pump and filter looked so bad, he replaced them. The new pump won't run when he turns on the switch. He's had it in and out a few times. He did manage to get the pump to run outside of the tank, then installed it and nothing. He did replace an $11.00 relay that he read may be the problem. Still nothing. He has done some testing, and just can't figure it out. Any ideas? And before the B.S. non helpful comments start. He is trying to get a service manual now. And he is learning. So those who started off knowing everything, The He shouldn't be working on it crowd can keep to yourselves.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,683 Posts
What is the difference between making the pump run outside the tank and in the tank? I would say that is the place to start. Whatever portion of wiring you are bypassing when the pump runs outside the tank is where the problem resides.

Reactions: Brand'd

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, talked to him some more. I was at work when we talked, so not clear on the story. He read up a bunch and read the relay could be the problem. He read to cycle the relay over and over and listen for the clicking sound. That sometimes the relay would "unstick" and work. That was when he got the pump to spin outside of the tank. But it only did it once, then wouldn't again. That's when he bought the relay thinking that was it. He put it back together Then put the relay in and nothing. He is going to pull it apart again. I will tell him to check the wiring when he has it apart. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts