V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just replaced my stock needle with an 88 sportster needle. my bike is a 2004 fatboy.

i was holding the needles next to each other to see the difference. the stock needle has two "steps" to it...in that it appears to start out from the top as a cylinder. after about a half inch, you can see the "step" where it starts to bevel toward the tip. then, after about another half inch, it takes another "step" down in size as it continues to bevel toward the tip.

the 88 sportster needle has one "step" to it about one half inch from the top. then, it just bevels evenly toward the tip. so the stock needle was thinner at the tip than the 88 sportster needle.

does this make sense? i'll admit that i know almost nothing about how a carburetor works. my simple mind wants to think that a thinner tip would be richer...and that's what i'm going for. why then was the stock needle thinner at the tip than the 88 sportster needle?

i'm just curious...can anyone explain how the 88 sportster needle would be richer even though the tip is larger than the stock needle?

thanks.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mtclassic said:
The sportster needle should be shorter in overall length.
they were the same length.

murphdog, if you were trying to post something, i can't see it. only see a red "X".

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Okay, I went out in the garage and got the needles to compare them. The Sportster needle (N65C) and the needle out of my 04 EG (N9EZ). The sportster needle is ~1/32" longer but is definetly thinner at the end. It might be they put different needles in different models of bikes. What number was/is stamped on your stock needle?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mtclassic said:
Okay, I went out in the garage and got the needles to compare them. The Sportster needle (N65C) and the needle out of my 04 EG (N9EZ). The sportster needle is ~1/32" longer but is definetly thinner at the end. It might be they put different needles in different models of bikes. What number was/is stamped on your stock needle?
i don't think one was longer than the other. i didn't measure them. just looked with my eye holding them side by side. the number on my stock needle is NCQB.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks murphdog. that is very helpful. to the naked eye, it appeared that the stock needle was thinner at the tip. can't always trust what i think i see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts