V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
YU12NO?
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall! Looking for some answers on installing a Kuryakyn Hypercharger on my 2005 Sporty. I pretty much have it complete but im stumped on what to do with the two hoses that once connected to the back of my stock air cleaner. There is no where to connect them on the Hypercharger and after reading the "destructions" a dozen times, I'm stumped. No where on there does it mention what to do with these things. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but engine knowledge...not so much. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!! .......Ride On

LadyBiker:banana:

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Welcome to the forum LadyBiker. Unlike you, I'm not mechanically inclined, and I have H-D techs do all my work. I did see an episode of American Thunder recently in which they had a tech at Kuryakyn demonstrate an install of the hypercharger. I'm sure you've checked their Web site, which purports to have PDF versions of installation instructions ("destructions" as the case may be) so you probably already have those. I'm sure others with a more mechanical bent than me will offer suggestions. Good luck and, again, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
935 Posts
If they are connected to the heads via breather bolts, they are for drainage. The EPA wants you to stick them into the air cleaner.

Your other options are to connect them to a small K&N filter to vent to the atmosphere, or route them to a y-couple and another tube so you can dump to the ground (I just did with my forcewinder earlier this week)

Did the Hypercharge come with a breather kit? For the forcewinder I had to buy the support bracket and breather kit seperate from the air cleaner.

Hey MadCity, I'm not mechanically inclined either, but now days I do the work myself. I couldn't possibly do a worse job than some of the morons working at the dealership.

·
Bugs
47 Posts
Same problem on my XL2006C with the SE AC. No place on the back plate to connect the two hoses. 1 is the carb bowl drain and it was connected just to keep it out of the way as far as I can see. Unless you've got a problem the drain is always dry. The bigger hose is the EPA evap canister hose and it probably should have suction to keep the canister purged. I've got mine with wire ties keeping them out of sight behind the new AC backplate while I decide what to do with them. I'll probably just pull the canister system off and make it a 49 State setup per the HD service manual. Doesn't matter where the drain hose is hooked so long as it's below the melting point of the rubber....

·
Bugs
47 Posts
Just noticed you are in NV. Maybe my CA bike has an Evap system and yours does not. In which case I don't know what the other hose is... Ah well. Advice is only worth what it costs.

·
YU12NO?
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First of all, thank you all for the nice welcome! Bclerk....sounds like we have the same problem. Is it possible to just take that carb bowl drain hose off altogether, or should I leave it on? Let me know what you do with the other hose. If its as simple as just taking the system out altogether, then thats what I'll do. Tick.....the hypercharger did come with a breather kit. Thanks again for the advice! And as always......Ride On

LadyBiker

·
Bugs
47 Posts
My HD Service Manual (pg 4-18) says that the fuel tank vapor hose connects to a vapor valve located beneath the seat in front of the battery. On non-CA models another hose then leads down and vents the vapor valve to the atmosphere. On CA models the hose goes to the charcoal canister. It warns about excessive fuel vapor pressure building up in the tank if the vapor valve is not mounted upright (longer end up). When I get to it I'm going to add the lower vent hose and pull the entire charcoal canister to set it up like a non-CA model. In re: the carb fuel overflow/drain hose. The manual says for non-CA models route it downward and back thru the space btwn the rear cylinder and the rear cylinder push rod covers (intake and exhaust) and then downward thru the space btwn the engine case and the gear cover. The drain hose has been handy for me when I did the carb rejet and needed to drain the bowl, so I probably wouldn't remove it from my bike. I don't think it can do anything at all unless the drain screw is backed out on the carb body anyway (which I wouldn't do unless the engine is cold for sure), and then it saves the mess from dumping the gas on the cyls. Just my opinion.

·
YU12NO?
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bclerk....thanks for the info. I should probably think about investing in a HD service manual myself....could come in handy.:RTFB: After investigating, my bike seems to be a CA model with the charcoal canister. Sounds simple just to eliminate the thing. Sounds like if I maybe just put a coupler on the carb drain hose and extend it down closer to the ground, being sure to keep it away from excessive heat, that should be fine for that, eh? I have to re-jet my bike anyway since i just put new exhaust and AC, and like you said, that hose is kinda important for that. Thanks again!!! ......Ride On

LadyBiker :thumbsup:

·
YU12NO?
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well....for the hell of it I email Kuryakyn tech support and asked them about the hoses. They said that both of those hoses can be "disconnected, neatly tucked away, and left open to vent to the atmosphere. I'll go with that!
Ride on.....

[email protected]:

·
Bugs
47 Posts
Yep. That's what I did with mine as per my first post and so far it's working fin (maybe 1,500 miles on it). IMHO, if a good dose of fuel goes down the evap hose the charcoal cannister should be purged or at some point the fuel tank vent system won't work properly. I'm gonna pull the cannister and put the evap hose to the 49-state system on mine, just in case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts