V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Harley Ultra Limited CVO FLHTKSE

Took it into the local HD Dealer for the 10K service and was told that there were excessive filings on the primary drain plug.

They asked me if I would approve an Xtra $100 to take dig deeper and find out why.....so I bit.

They then indicated I needed a new compensator and clutch. for about just under a grand. Needless to say - I was not pleased, but I approved it. When I picked up the bike, they said that I have an 'updated' compensator for HD.

Exact Tech Comments 'Replaced Clutch Assembly and Compensator. Clutch Assy Ring Gear Has Teeth Chipped from Compensator not working correctly. Compensator Spring Pack has Loose Pressure allowing Compensator Sprocket to Jump on Ramps.'

That makes me think that the original one was crappy from Harley and that Harley should step up and at least provide the updated parts in a tech bulletin for replacement where the customer pays labor.

Has anyone else had a problem like this ?

·
Super Moderator
20,317 Posts
Without seeing the parts, its impossible to say what was really needed. Just accidently hitting the starter button on a running scooter and fill the magnet with chips. If the comp was bad, causing the starter to mill, you should have been experiencing the problem. Grinding, loud banging, starter jumping out of mesh.

With that said, starter ring gear is like $160, and a 10K comp usually only needs shimming @ about $50 for shims and a new bolt. If the springs were in fact bad, then $100 for a new spring pack. A 14 CVO came with the revised comp.

Now I'm thinking thy hit you up for a whole clutch and SE comp. At something north of $700 for parts. And since the labor for that is under an hour, the extra $100 already paid should have covered it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thermodyne
I also have the same problem but I haven't fixed it yet. Is there a up grade, possibly aftermarket part/peace's you would recommend?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Also I haven't had any problems with my clutch yet. But the compensator is making a lot of noise. I haven't seen any peace's in the primary oil yet. When I take it apart what should I look for?

·
Super Moderator
20,317 Posts
If the comp looks serviceable on tear down, shimming the spring pack will quiet them down. The MoCo actually added additional preload to the later 110's.

It it shows excessive wear, then there are several options. BDL and some generic oem style units. If the sprocket shaft run out is .002 or less, then the Baker is good. If the crank wobbles, then the SE will last as long as any of them. If the crank wobbles more than .008, you'll need to address it. Eventually it will beat the primary bearing or main drive gear bearing out of it.

As far as what to look for, if it starts fine, don't look for anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts