V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased bike in Sept 02 with extended warranty through sept 07. Never used warranty to date. Can I get full refund?? Thanks in advance:cool:

·
Finally
839 Posts
I bought one with my bike and then decided about 2 months later I did not want it and they refunded but it was not more than 60 days. If it was more than 60 days it was prorated for every month after that...

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Dave, I bought my bike in Oct of 02 and got the 3 year warranty with the money back option. That is if I didn't use it then at the end of the third year I was given a refund on the entire amount I paid for the warranty.....Not sure if this applies to you or not. You may want to check.

·
Not-so-Fatboy
1,115 Posts
I purchased my bike in June of last year and turned my extended warranty in this month. Got the full price back.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Extended warranties are a rip off. I have never purchased one. Take that 1000.00 or so dollars you are going to spend on the warranty and set it aside in an account that is making you money. If something happens, then use the money (i.e. self insured). If nothing happens, then you saved yourself the 1000.00 plus interest.

Get back what you can.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fatb0y said:
Extended warranties are a rip off. I have never purchased one. Take that 1000.00 or so dollars you are going to spend on the warranty and set it aside in an account that is making you money. If something happens, then use the money (i.e. self insured). If nothing happens, then you saved yourself the 1000.00 plus interest.

Get back what you can.
Sometimes that maybe true, I paid $649 for mine. Its a dresser, so there were more things that could fail, radio is $900 bucks then you have cruise, heated grips and other electrical stuff. I also average around 12-15K miles a year, its piece of mine out on the road. For those who got refunds, was it thru the dealer or the warranty company???:banana:

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
The warranty company would reimburse you. That program is no longer in effect. If you want to cancel your warranty, they will refund the "unused portion". You will not get the full amount back. To have or to not have, there are good arguments for both. I'll never be able to use mine for engine work, too many mods. But.... if there is an electrical problem or suspension problem yada yada yada, I'm covered.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Dave L said:
Sometimes that maybe true, I paid $649 for mine. Its a dresser, so there were more things that could fail, radio is $900 bucks then you have cruise, heated grips and other electrical stuff. I also average around 12-15K miles a year, its piece of mine out on the road. For those who got refunds, was it thru the dealer or the warranty company???:banana:
I did the 3 year option when I bought my RK in '02. Over the years the warranty paid for repair of an inner primary leak, a couple of cracked Y pipes and a couple other things that I've forgotten. I definitely got my money's worth and then some.

I would agree that, in some circumstances, extended warranties may not be the best option, but for high maintenance vehicles like a motorcycle it is. I also average about 15-20K per year (just rolled over 68K this am :yes:).

regards,

wyo

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
wyodude said:
... (just rolled over 68K this am :yes:)....
Keep on rollin' my friend!! :bowdwn:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Extended warranty

From what I have seen lately from HD's regular warranty, I certainly wouldn't PAY for more of the same.

Have valve clatter in the front exhaust train of my '05 Ultra.....three "master" techs at the dealer all agreed it was not normal. The dealer tore the engine down, and now a tech at HD in Milwaukee (who has never heard or seen the bike), and the "customer service" people as well say the noise is "normal", and HD is refusing to pay for ANYTHING. So my bike sits torn down while I have to argue with them over it. They expect me to pay to have it reassembled.....with all the old parts.

Don't buy the HD extended warranty. you might have better luck with one of the other aftermarket warranty companies if you feel you must have it. Just do your homework.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts