V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I changed my bars on my Roadking classic to the heritage bars p/n56623-99. I really like them being farther back toward me. Then my Mustang seat finally showed up. The seat moved me back a couple inches and now I'm back to a long reach that gets to my shoulders.

So I bought some Roadking high bars p/n 55954-00. I just put them on tonight. The increased pullback seems uncomfortable in the wrist, and they aren't back anymore than the heritage bars.

Now I notice that the stock seat positions me perfectly with the heritage bars. Of course, the Mustang is much more comfortable as far as the seat goes.

Looking through the HD catalog it seems I'm out of options. Aftermarket bars are pricier, and would probably require new throttle cables.

So, I'm considering modifying the tab and slots on the Mustang seat. What I want to do is slide the seat forward a couple inches. It looks like the front of the seat could slide up against the tank a little more.

Anybody else notice the Mustang seat is great, but too far back?

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Have Heritage bars on my RG. Just pulled them back tonight a bit for the reason you just stated I was extended on the Mustang seat. And the wrist position was weird. My fault from the initial install I did, and noticed, but I was just too lazy to do what I have to do to get to riser bolts.

The other reason is I have a back rest and it spoiled me because I could compensate for it with the adjustment. But today was the day I got the wild hair and did it. Obviously I have not done a lot of miles yet but test ride was very nice and an immediate difference in wrist position.

OH on that seat, wont sliding it forward apply more rearward tilt in the seat position itself?

Not sure if this helps but maybe lay them baby's back more :hmmm:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're probably right. Shoving the seat further forward may not be a good idea.

One time I rolled up my jacket and put it behind my back as a spacer. I rode it around the block and it's perfect. Too bad I can't have a spacer built into the seat. I imagine I would ruin the seat if I tried to monkey with the upholstery.

Maybe I should look at those 508 bars. But that would be an expensive experiment if they didn't do the trick. One thing that's frustrating with bars is comparing the measurements for rise and pullback. Those measurements don't seem to tell you what it feels like.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
dmax said:
You're probably right. Shoving the seat further forward may not be a good idea.

One time I rolled up my jacket and put it behind my back as a spacer. I rode it around the block and it's perfect. Too bad I can't have a spacer built into the seat. I imagine I would ruin the seat if I tried to monkey with the upholstery.

Maybe I should look at those 508 bars. But that would be an expensive experiment if they didn't do the trick. One thing that's frustrating with bars is comparing the measurements for rise and pullback. Those measurements don't seem to tell you what it feels like.
I agree on the measurement thing. Is that a solo seat? Maybe look for the matching back rest. Is for sure less of a hassle then changing bars and I have to say I will never be without one again. They keep you upright with no stress on your back and shoulders.

On my commute this am the bars are great laid back further. I do feel that the backrest is the secret as it keeps you in the SAME riding position so your body cant slump and you have something supporting you on acceleration.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Dmax,

Everybody has their own way of doing things. On my E Glide, Once I picked the Bars and Highway Pegs that fit me best with the original seat that I had on the bike, I didn't want to change them.

But I did want to change my seat from a 2-up to a solo with a removable passenger pillion. The easiest way for me to do this was to find a seat builder that was willing to customize thier seat to fit me.

Lepera has worked out great for me. They offer a program which allows you to get a seat without a cover, install it on your bike and then draw on it to customize it to fit. Once the mods are done, they will send it back to you to make sure the mods are right. Once all the mods are to your satisfaction, they will then cover it with leather, vynle, snake skin, etc.

Might be something you want to check out. Mabey Mustang can do something similar for you.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are all good suggestions.

Looking at the Wild 1 bars, it looks like they have a different definition of "pullback". What is always missing is the angle of the last bend. This is the angle that your wrists have to meet. Wish I knew somebody who had them, so I could sit on their bike. Looks like I'd need new cables and extend the wires.

Seems like moving the seat would be easier. This would also position my legs back where they were.

Too bad I'm not an upholstery guy. Seems like you could take the cover off, and add some foam on the rear vertical piece?

·
Registered
404 Posts
You can remove the cover to add or remove foam. I've done this to 1 HD seat and 2 Mustang seats over the years.

Mustang seats that are "pillow seats" require a little bit more work to remove and install the buttons but it is doable.

When adding foam to the portion that your lower back will rest against, you'll be limited by how much extra seat cover material you'll have work with.

·
ezpass
37 Posts
dmax said:
These are all good suggestions.

Looking at the Wild 1 bars, it looks like they have a different definition of "pullback". What is always missing is the angle of the last bend. This is the angle that your wrists have to meet. Wish I knew somebody who had them, so I could sit on their bike. Looks like I'd need new cables and extend the wires.

Seems like moving the seat would be easier. This would also position my legs back where they were.

Too bad I'm not an upholstery guy. Seems like you could take the cover off, and add some foam on the rear vertical piece?
Have you considered a set of small pullback risers? Like the ones on FLSTN, '05 or later. I put them on my fatboy along with FLSTN bars and that has made all the difference. I know you said you like the Heritage bars (I do too. Just didn't feel like replacing cables). I've seen some pics on this forum of the Deluxe owners using these bars with the stock risers. Looks pretty cool and gives you the reach and positioning you want.

-Alex

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PCMA:
That is an interesting suggestion. I wonder if different risers would fit under the chrome cover?

FXRFLH:
You say taking the seat apart isn't that hard? What do you do, drill out all those rivets?

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I got the one peice tourer, for FLHR, moved me forward, but the seat is great after getting used to it. What about adjustable backrest?

I wouldn't think risers would fit uner nancelle. I've been wrong.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I would recommend calling Mustang and see if they would modify your seat for you. I've been told they are pretty accommodating people.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yep, Drill out the rivets, slide off cover, add / remove foam as needed, put cover back on and Rivet away. Worked for me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
fxrflh said:
Yep, Drill out the rivets, slide off cover, add / remove foam as needed, put cover back on and Rivet away. Worked for me.
That sounds doable. I'm sure that's all the professional is going to do, might as well do the labor yourself. Plus, it would allow me to try out my adjustments, and then put the cover back on when I'm happy.

I assume it needs to be a particular type of foam? What type of foam and where do you buy it?

Looking at the frame of the bike, this seems to be my best option. This way the seat pan still fits the bike, I slide forward but not up, and I'd be sitting more on the front edge of the seat which is a little narrower. I must have a small ass compared to most folks!

Thanks!

·
Registered
404 Posts
A local auto upholstry shop will have foam you can work with and adhesives to. ;) That's what I did.

I agree with your thoughts on the seat pan. I'd leave it so that it fits the frame and mold the foam to the shape you want.

Lepera is doing this exact thing for me right now. for the seat on my FLHT. They took all my notes on the seat and the pic I drew and sculpted the foam to position me more forward without moving the seat itself on the frame.

I also went crazy with another mustang pillow seat made for 70's FX's that I was determined to use on my 75' sporty at the time. (I wanted better lower back support)

That required modifying the rear fender mounting points and removing the seat foam from the pan and cutting the steel pan to fit exactly the way I wanted.

I only bring this up, because after trimming the steel seat pan to fit, I reapplied the foam, reinstalled the buttons to get the "pillow" look and then drilled new holes in the seat pan and rivited the cover right back on.

If your willing to take your time you can definitly do it on your own.
Good luck !!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts