V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just bought the 2012 Ultra Limited and it comes with the standard 103" motor that harley has moved up to. I like it and everything, but i really liked the street glide I traded in for this. My question is simple. I know that people will say ride it stock and just wait, but this is my 5th harley and I've had some serious motors with great torque and hp and i've had some poorely built so I just want to do a stage 1 upgrade and get a tts and exhaust and maybe put cams in. Would anyone be able to help me with picking a good plug and play cam and would I be desicrating the bike by putting a 2:1 Fatcat on it.

I really like to go fast,
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Personally I love the 2:1 Fat Cat with no ghost pipe... just one power pipe down the right side. To me it says ... I am here for performance and the beauty is in the function. I think it's cool. A lot of other people hate it and think it makes the bike unbalanced, and want the ghost pipe....To each his own. I love the single pipe look on a bagger. Hard to find a better performing torque pipe at any price, IMHO.

But others on this forum will no doubt suggest what they might be...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
So, I just bought the 2012 Ultra Limited and it comes with the standard 103" motor that harley has moved up to. I like it and everything, but i really liked the street glide I traded in for this. My question is simple. I know that people will say ride it stock and just wait, but this is my 5th harley and I've had some serious motors with great torque and hp and i've had some poorely built so I just want to do a stage 1 upgrade and get a tts and exhaust and maybe put cams in. Would anyone be able to help me with picking a good plug and play cam and would I be desicrating the bike by putting a 2:1 Fatcat on it.

I really like to go fast,
Thanks,
Steve
Sounds like YOU should be giving advice,............................. but you want to go fast on a Harley ...hum!!!:whistle:

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Bring Your Past Forward

Steve, as another poster suggested, you have some experiences from which to draw to reduce the liklihood of error on this new quest.
So, take what you have learned; remember that what is beautiful to you IS beautiful; and maybe do some research with the vendors on this site -- call and talk with them, let 'em know what your vision and goal is, then decide which direction you want to take to get there; lastly remember that the journey is as important as the destination :whistle: because, as you know, when you take the first step down this road -- it is always a journey -- only a destination when you change bikes. :clap:
Don't ask me how I know....

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Having been there and done that, I can tell you from 11,000 miles of experience that a stage one kit on a 103inch motor is a lot of power. At 92lbs of torque/810lbs, the horsepower to weight ratio of my 2011 FLHRC is equal to that of a 405hp Z06 Corvette.

Having an ultra puts you at somewhat of a disadvantage as it weighs approximately 100lbs more than my Road King Classic. Still, I would start with the bolt ons before I would open up the motor. It is my firm belief that you will get far more out of the motorcycle by spending 3-400 bucks improving your motor skills than spending 1-2000 bucks improving the "motorcycle." A one to two gear downshift is just as effective and get this....doesn't cost any extra money!

Good luck and God Bless :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow thanks for the wisdom. I wish I could after my bike experiences be able to truly offer sound wisdom, but alas I've just never had the opportunity to dig in myself and learn. Anyhow I like the fatcat and I just need to up the cams. Those epa cams are soft and yes i can downshift, but i really like to twist my way around.

thanks a mil and I'll be checkin to see if anyone has more to add. It's awesome!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did stage 1 on my 2010 96" v and h power duals, v and h classic slipons, se a/c, and pcv, love the power and noise isnt to bad its even quiter with the tour pack on, havent done internal engine yet... still under warranty.......

Heat reduction due to cat removal is a bonus as well........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts