V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 VROD. I just installed the 16 guage HD exhaust pipes on it Saturday. I also have a Power Commander3 on her too for fuel, ignition mapping. As we all know, HD demands relocation of the inlet air temp sensor with the 16 guage pipes. Why couldn't I relocate the original sensor into airbox and cap or plug original hole in front cylinder intake tract? I'm talking of some non destructive way to cap hole, like making a plug to fit. I could drill an appropiate size hole in bottom of airbox and install old sensor in there, like in airbox but not in area below air filter. Do any of you guys know if theres any difference in the original sensor or the new one spec wise, other than maybe physical dimensions or mounting style? Does anyone have any opinions why it would not work fine this way? Thx for your help.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'll look into it and let you know. Its a good point! I have both kits here and at $60+ a guy could save a few bucks. Plus I don't like reducing the plenem like the relo kit does.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ChopperSteve

I did the relocation today, got a wild hair and couldn't help myself! Total cost, about $20, for a suitable plug, wiring loom, cable ties, shrink tubing. I relocated it to front right corner of lower airbox, and loaded new map for my PC3. Took a brief spin, all seems well. I added exactly the same amount of wire to each, a green and black 18 guage, and soldered all splices quite well. I just didn't care to abandon the old sensor, pay my stealership $70+ for something HD should do for free, like a recall if its that critical, seeing how they did incorporate the revised location in 2003. But please let me know what you find out, or any thoughts on my modification. I thought long and hard about doing this before I embarked upon it, cutting into my $19000 VROD, and I think my theory is sound. But I'm the kinda guy who believes if you want something done right, do it yourself, nobody will do it with the attention and care as the owner, and I enjoy tinkering.

·
Registered
450 Posts
SUGGESTIONS:

If you are wanting to see if your custom job works, run the diagnostics with the dealer instrument AFTER you have gone about 100 miles or so under a variety of riding conditions.

ALSO, read the appropriate sections in the 2003 Electonic and Diagnostics shop manual. This is DEFINITELY NOT a ON and OFF switch.

I decided to spend the $69 since it had everything you need to do the job accoriding to HD's requirements AND, it is nice to know you can switch back and forth form HOT air to cold air OR replace a defective sensor with the old on board one. (HA, HA)

REgards

V-ROD I FL

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vrod Fl

I know its not an on/off switch, duh. Sensor varies its resistance based on temperature its exposed to. But why would you want to switch from an accurate intake reading (cold as u term it), to inaccurate data (original location, Hot)? I'm waiting on a manual so I'll read your recommendation when I get it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The sensor location was changed for one reason. The reason being some VRODS were having idling problems with their aftermarket exhaust. The air temperature difference between the new location and the old location at anything above idle is nil. Ergo, no changes needed for a stock bike.

JMS

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JMS

yes, I've heard that explanation too, but if it is just that simple, why did HD bother to relocate it to airbox on 2003 models, a stock machine? How is putting on a set of 16 guage pipes on my bike with proper ecm recalibration going to cause intake tract temps different at idle, ie stopped, than stock bike with stock muffs? No doubt sitting still for extended periods like in heavy traffic could cause heat buildup in front cyl intake tract area that low airflow cannot overcome, causing a lean idle condition, stalling. I don't buy "lean idle problem exists with one muffler type versus the other story." HD just didn't want to do all our 2002s for free(recall) in my opinion. Let them come upgrade their exhaust and we'll hit em up for cost of sensor relocation.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The sensor location was changed so that a sensor relocation kit would not be needed for altered exhaust. The air temperature difference between the new location and the old location at anything above idle is nil. Ergo, no changes needed for a stock bike.

JMS

·
Registered
450 Posts
POLIZZO:

In my earlier posting I was relaying MY experiences to you for your consideration and wasn't attempting to convince you one way or another. The issue of the COLD air relo causes the ECM to richen up the fuel input when it is detected by the ECM as opposed to the old location behind the front cylinder where the HOT air was causing a leaning out condition once the ECM detected it.

Your point about reading the chapter in the book is right on target!! There are several exchanges of IAT sensor info through out the entire power band. One of the thngs that caught my eye was that the voltage was different at many of the ranges. Something you more than likely already deduced.

The SE2's do seem for the moment to be one of the best solutions out there.

In any event, enjoy your ride!!

V-ROD I FL

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your input VROD 1 FL,

Maybe one of these days Chicago HD will decide to send me my service manual that they said was in stock, and I too can read all that good info you've got in ur hands, lol. 20% discount sounded nice, if they ever send the damned thing. Keep the good info coming bro........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts