V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody , I'm looking to buy an 1982 FLHTC in my area , the guy said it's a special edition , original engine was rebuilt about 10000miles ago , 5 speed he's askin 9500$ US . I will like to know what I should look at to get a good bike , many time i read that the evolution versus the shovelhead is a better engine what your opinion on that :confused:
Thanks guys

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Terex said:
Hi everybody , I'm looking to buy an 1982 FLHTC in my area , the guy said it's a special edition , original engine was rebuilt about 10000miles ago , 5 speed he's askin 9500$ US . I will like to know what I should look at to get a good bike , many time i read that the evolution versus the shovelhead is a better engine what your opinion on that :confused:
Thanks guys

That's a lot of money......not necessarily for that machine since I haven't seen it. It's just that $10K will get you into a much newer machine......like a 90's FLHTC.

I like Shovelheads a lot and I own an '82 FX myself. That said, they are a lot of maintenance and work to keep them rolling. A newer machine would probably be a better deal in the long run.

My 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a lot

Thanks for your advice , it's sure that it's a lot of mony for a 1982 bike , but there others reasons why i'm looking for an older bike , up here in quebec the plate will cost in a near future around 700$ plus the private insurance . For a 25 years olds bike the plate cost only 75$ , don't forget the governement taxes when you buy them 8% ont the sale price from a particular from a dealer it's 15% . In canada the taxes are :badmood:

When you talk about more maintenance on a shovel , it's about what ? chain sprocket ? or engine and tranny

Thanks against newultraclassic :thumbsup:

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Another consideration is can you work on it yourself. All Harley shops and many indy shops no longer work on shovelheads. Is there a good mechanic in the area that knows shovelhead bikes.
Being a shovelhead, it will need work.
Also parts are getting harder to find than with EVO's. Most are not in stock and have to be ordered.
Do not get me wrong, shovels can be very nice bikes, but all the nice ones I know of, the owner does his own work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks littlebear , i can do some works , i'm doing myself many work on my old Cuda :xhere: 440-6
My scholl grade were in car mechanic and after heavy equipment mechanic
but since 22 years i'm in city bus , they don't have any shovel :ntlgh:
I know a good little shop not too far where the 2 guy own old shovel ,and do many work on all Harley models , they have a 1982 FLT for sale but with an evo in it , i will show you the picture . A very nice bike but a little too much expensive for me , they ask 17000$:wacko:

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Terex said:
Thanks littlebear , i can do some works , i'm doing myself many work on my old Cuda :xhere: 440-6
My scholl grade were in car mechanic and after heavy equipment mechanic
but since 22 years i'm in city bus , they don't have any shovel :ntlgh:
I know a good little shop not too far where the 2 guy own old shovel ,and do many work on all Harley models , they have a 1982 FLT for sale but with an evo in it , i will show you the picture . A very nice bike but a little too much expensive for me , they ask 17000$:wacko:

It occurred to me that you may be quoting Canadian dollar figures....
Are those U.S. or Canadian?

·
Banned
871 Posts
Terex said:
Thanks guys
That seems like a lot of money for that model/year. The Kelly Blue Book value for my zip code (Plattsburgh, NY) is $8025.00 US if it's in perfect condition. If it has a lot, and I mean a LOT, of extras and engine work, then it MIGHT be worth over $9000.00.

You might want to contact Northend H-D here in Plattsburgh and see if they have any older models in stock. They usually do. The prices have come down a lot since the new owner took over (they used to charge too much for just about everything). Or, better yet, you could check with Sovie's H-D in Potsdam, NY. They have the lowest prices in the state and usually have a pretty good selection.

Yes, the shovels take some work to maintain. They shake a lot, so there are always fasteners coming loose. I used to safety wire just about everything on my old shovel and Sportster. Every winter I would pull the top end apart and clean up the combustion area, replacing anything that was questionable. That preventative maintenance kept it running well all summer. They are very easy to work on, too. Not much harder than a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engine. :)

An EVO, on the other hand, requires a lot less maintenance. I have a 1995 now and don't have to do much to it except the normal, periodic checks that should be done on all bikes, and I average well over 12,000 miles a year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi ToddM , yes it's a lot of mony for a old bike like that , i Just had a look at somes american harley dealers in the new york state , and you will not find and old shovel in there , when they have an 91 it's the oldest bike in there showroom . When you look at a 2000 flh it can be around 14000$ us , why go with an old shovel between 10000 and 17000 ...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Those old FLTs can be had for 6000 to 8000 in pretty good shape in Wa state.
I do think the EVOs are better engines than Shovels, but Shovels have the old Harley thing going for them.
A friend has two of them, he is 92yrs old and still rides them.
One thing I find odd is the fixed fairing and my vote for the ugliest gages ever on a HD.

·
Banned
871 Posts
Terex said:
Hi ToddM , yes it's a lot of mony for a old bike like that , i Just had a look at somes american harley dealers in the new york state , and you will not find and old shovel in there , when they have an 91 it's the oldest bike in there showroom . When you look at a 2000 flh it can be around 14000$ us , why go with an old shovel between 10000 and 17000 ...
I understand. I'll ask around to see if anyone in the area is selling an old shovel this winter and I'll give you the info.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
where's the indy shop?

Hey Terex,
Where's that small shop located in Montreal? I'm gonna be moving to Montreal soon and I prefer to use the independant shops.
Thanks, BigR.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Terex said:
Thanks guys
These days the only people that pay $10k for an old shovel are the ones with more money than sense. Those that love shovels (like myself) have even less sense cause they pay $5k for one then put another $7k in it making it perfect :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Harley shop near montreal

Hi BigR , the shop is located near Montreal , north in Laval . it's call :atelier d'usinage AD, the 2 guys who run that shop have the same name : André . The adress is : 4949 St-Elzéar est in Laval phone number 450-664-0104

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Since you said it's a 5 speed I'll assume it's an FLT not FLHT.
That and a rubber mount Shovel vrs solid mount.
Does it have the full fairing with 2 headlights and an enclosed chain drive to the rear wheel? Or the traditional bat wing fairing and exposed chain.
Oddly enough the solid mount 4 speed bikes (FLHT) are worth more money.
This in part because parts are easier to get and they are simpler to work on.
The early FLT (1980-1983) was the first rubber mounted Harley and the first 5 speed along with the early FXRs (1982-1983) and were all 5 speed Shovelheads with electric start only.
If you need to buy an older bike 1984 was the first year for Evo engines and yes they were a lot more reliable,I had an '84 for 10 years and over 100,000 miles.That year was the transition year with both Evos and Shovels being produced,Shovels in the solid mount bikes and Evos in the Rubber mount bikes with the exception of the first year Softail being a solid mount Evo.
In 1985 nearly all big twins were Evos with the exception of a very few FLH Shovels most if not all Police bikes.
All this said I'd steer you toward an '84 or later Evo for that kind of money.
1982 FLT might fetch $6000 in good shape,for $10,000 you might even find a TC88 with some looking around.
Y2K

1 - 16 of 16 Posts