V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok men here is the deal. I am not 2 swift on the fuel injection systems and need some advise. My son has an 03 Night Train that was suppose to be flashed for Stage 1 when he bought the bike from the dealer. The Vance & Hines Short Shots always sounded tinny so he bought a set of Big Growl long and up pipes. The bike seems to be running extremly lean throwing fire out the pipes you see when its dark outside. I went to the dealer today to inquire about buying a DFO of some type. He suggest checking to see if the bike was really flashed to beging with.He said if not it has to be flashed to Stage 1 before you can put a tuner on it.??? Is this correct?? I was under the impression I could buy a Tuner and use a laptop to adjust the fuel air ratio. I have told him not to ride the bike till we get things straight as not to hurt the engine. Where do I start and go from here?????????

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
He's trying to sell you something you don't need. A DFO will enable you to adjust all three circuits, much like a carb. A SERT is more expensive but allows you to reprogram the ECU. The SERT already has all the factory downloads in the software.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
You do not need a download if your going with a SERT. The SERT will overright the download anyways. I'd recommend the SERT, but some here like the PowerCommander. Do a little research and find what you like... Good luck...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts