V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a problem and need some help. I lost fire to my front cylinder, the back one fires OK. I'm running a Crane Hi4 ignition system (the model that mounts inside the timing cover). This is what I've done so far.
Checked the battery...it's good
Checked for power at the coil....got 12 volts to all three studs
Replaced plugs and wires
Replaced coil

After the checks and replacing of parts, the engine still doesn't want to fire the front jug. I pulled the plug and held it up against the cylinder and no fire.

I've got power to the coil but I believe the ignition is sending the signal to the back jug but not the front, not for sure but everything else seems to check out.

I wanted to check with everyone to see if anyone has any advice for me.
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
So, you must have an Evo? Check where you hard wired into your existing harness. I had the same on my old 98 RKC, but I don't remember how the darn thing wired up. I'm also assuming that you have had it on for a while, then it stopped working suddenly? We may need a little more info to trouble shoot long distance!!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Max, some HI4's are notorious for losing a cylinder when they get hot. Get hold of Crane and I'm sure they'll exchange it. They did mine and a couple of friends when theirs acted up. Some never have a problem with the HI4's, but some do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More data

Yes, it's a 88 FXR. I've got the nose cone model and the only place it connection to the wiring harness is the ignition wire that hooks to the center post on the coil. I've checked the voltage and it's good to go. It was running fine then I just lost fire to the front jug. It was a fairly new unit, probably only a couple thousand miles on it before it went out.

I didn't know they had heat problems with the Crane. If the ignition is the problem I'll probably switch to the one that fits under the side cover to keep it away from the engine heat.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
When we use the crane we always leave them open here in the AZ heat in other areas I have shimmed the cover out to allow air to get to them. It really is a common issue. Some time they will short out against the cover, due to heat expansion and you will see the arc mark on the cover and the Ign

·
AXTELLERATOR
441 Posts
crane hi-4 bad batch

Max63 said:
I've got a problem and need some help. I lost fire to my front cylinder, the back one fires OK. I'm running a Crane Hi4 ignition system (the model that mounts inside the timing cover). This is what I've done so far.
Checked the battery...it's good
Checked for power at the coil....got 12 volts to all three studs
Replaced plugs and wires
Replaced coil

After the checks and replacing of parts, the engine still doesn't want to fire the front jug. I pulled the plug and held it up against the cylinder and no fire.

I've got power to the coil but I believe the ignition is sending the signal to the back jug but not the front, not for sure but everything else seems to check out.

I wanted to check with everyone to see if anyone has any advice for me.
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I have the crane hi-4 and while I was in Daytona it crapped out. Front cylinder let go. I ripped it out and brought it to Crane (they're main building is in Daytona - I was lucky) and they swapped me abrand new Hi-4 for the one I had brought. The guy said there was a bad batch and mine had the serial number. But, there were three other people there with bad crane Hi-4's and
they had bought there's a couple a years after I bought mine. So, I'm just quessing there's an in-bred problem that pops up occasionally. I've never had a problem with the new one and it's been a couple of years.:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts