V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Laughing Poseur
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking the inner primary off my '90 and I'll be damned if I can find the second inner bolt (the ones on the outside of the primary that come in thru the back)....anyone got any clues? My manual gives me an approximate location but I can't find it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Keep looking... My one (the inside bolt) also had the earth strap attached to it so it was easy to find. It's pretty close to being in the middle of the inner primary case.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Laughing Poseur
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep looking... My one (the inside bolt) also had the earth strap attached to it so it was easy to find. It's pretty close to being in the middle of the inner primary case.

yeah....I got the one with the ground...still lookin for the other one tho

·
Registered
888 Posts
Ahhhhh.... I only found one! (and no hole for a second one)

Oh... I'm an 86 FXR

·
Registered
181 Posts
my '90 inner

Attachments

·
Laughing Poseur
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
D'ja get it?

joe
nope.....I'm gonna take a better look tomorrow....it sure looks like the starters gotta come out...gonna go look at a FLHT tank tomorrow too

·
Registered
888 Posts
Yep... You need to pull the solenoid and undo the 2 bolts holding the starter in - I managed to do this in situ with a long socket extension (no need to remove the starter etc, just the bolts)

·
Laughing Poseur
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep... You need to pull the solenoid and undo the 2 bolts holding the starter in - I managed to do this in situ with a long socket extension (no need to remove the starter etc, just the bolts)

thanks for the info

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,762 Posts
nope.....I'm gonna take a better look tomorrow....it sure looks like the starters gotta come out...gonna go look at a FLHT tank tomorrow too
Did the big tank need to come from a certain year or years FL?

Did you consider cutting longitudinally and welding in strips to widen the stock tank, like Pilgrim did on his? I think two strips, 1.5" wide each, gave him 6 gallons. If so, why did you decide this way is better?

I'm very interested in this project.

joe

·
Laughing Poseur
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did the big tank need to come from a certain year or years FL?

Did you consider cutting longitudinally and welding in strips to widen the stock tank, like Pilgrim did on his? I think two strips, 1.5" wide each, gave him 6 gallons. If so, why did you decide this way is better?

I'm very interested in this project.

joe
The info I got was that most would work...I chose a tank close to the year my bike was...it also had a regular gas inlet and will just require the dash and cover. This is the easiest way to do it from what I can see....all ya have to do is change the tank and adjust some mounts...not build another one (which is what I consider cutting it apart and adding width and welding it all back together)...I'll keep ya posted.

·
Laughing Poseur
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
off....

thanks for the help gentlemen

didn't have to remove solenoid....just loosened the starter bolts

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,762 Posts
The info I got was that most would work...I chose a tank close to the year my bike was...it also had a regular gas inlet and will just require the dash and cover. This is the easiest way to do it from what I can see....all ya have to do is change the tank and adjust some mounts...not build another one (which is what I consider cutting it apart and adding width and welding it all back together)...I'll keep ya posted.
You don't have the glove boxes do you? Was just wondering about clearance...

joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts