V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't actually have a bike yet... Technically, I have never riden one either... But I want to. I need all the input you guys have. I know that I should take the MSF course, and was wondering if you guys might have a number or website where I could reach a MSF program in New Jersey.

Yes, I'm from NJ, I'm not proud.

I want a harley, and I'm a pretty big guy, about 6'2", 280 pounds... I'm also 18, and a student, so money is an issue. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should look for for someone my size, who wants something pretty layed back just for cruising? My girlfriend lives 2 hours away in Phily, so I was hoping it'd be comfortable. But it's probably going to have to be used, so how bad will the reliability issue be?

Anyway, all opinions are welcome, and thanks for helping...

Bill

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Reliability is not an issue if the bike is not too old and has been well maintained, but bikes are only as good as the guys that wrench on them.

You can find mid 90's EVO's at good prices these days if you look around a little and generally speaking close to stock bikes are the better buys unless you find a super deal on one built just like you want it if the builder can be traced down.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Generally speaking the best used bikes come from wealthy older people, and a lot of guys that would not sell their old bike to a friend sell them to dealers.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hi Bill I don't know what used Harley prices are like in New Jersey, but for me it was actually cheaper to buy a new one, if you can find a dealer that sells at msrp, they should only add on 400 to 600 for set up and frieght, if you can swing money down and get a long term low interest loan. I realize at your age thats tough. A lot of people think the bottom is going to drop out on used harley prices after the 100th especially evos. I know this won't be popular on this forum but I would look for a used *** cruiser like a 1500 nomad or 1600 yamaha , they should be about half the price of a harley at least around here they are. If it was me I would start out on a much smaller bike for at least the first year, I am close to your size so I know its hard to find a bike that feels good . I don't think you would be happy with a sportster. I would put a bunch of miles on before I would do any two up riding. safe riding rickpoco

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not planning on doing any two up untill I get quite a few miles under my belt... What I want it for is the commute to and from the girlfriend. I could put a good 350 miles under my belt on weekends, and maybe more each week.

I just want to be young for a while and I want to get a bike when I'm young. I wanna be one of those guys everyone looks up to in 45 years and they say to each other "He's been riding for forever..." when I walk into the bar.

Anyway, back to reality... I wanna learn right... And a don't want something that feels like a midevil torture device after 30 minutes... Plus, harley's kick ass..

Keep the suggestions on bikes coming.

Bill

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah, she's pretty damned cool.

Anyway, I'm looking at some used *** cruisers now... You guys have any more recommendations on which *** cruisers are worth buying? Which ones do you guys like? Have you ever owned any?

I'm hear to learn.

Bill

P.S. If you guys have time, could someone explain to me the differences between the different models of Harleys? Like the technical differences, and which ones are good for what kind of riding? Also, like I said, suggestions on *** cruisers are very welcome, since they appear much cheaper.

P.P.S. I really dig choppers. What's the deal with them? Comfortable? Less reliable?

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
Bill,

Welcome. You wanna learn a lot ? Start reading magazines. American Iron is my favorite. Iron works is pretty good too. And hang around here some. There's a wealth of info and about 10 thousand years of riding experience on this site. And one last thing - be proud you're from New Jersey - it's a great state. I don't know where you're from but there's a lotta great riding up in my corner.

Dean

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hah... You're about 1/2 an hour from me. I live up in West Milford, about 5 minutes from Greenwood lake. I can imagine the riding up here is great, I love cruising around in my convertable.

I just use the self deprication humour in association with NJ cause noone who doesn't live here likes it. They're all jealous. heh.

Bill

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Good japanese bikes that are suitable for distance riding

#1 Honda ST1100, hard to find because people tend to hang on to them.

#2 Kawasaki Concours, good bikes, run forever and can be found dirt cheap, but they are pretty ugly.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The other bike you may want to look at is the Kawasaki Vulcan, some of the smaller displacement models can be had new for very little.

Outside of sport bikes I would suggest you stay away from Yamaha's and particularly from Suzuki's, they don't even come close in reliability to Kawasaki's and to a lesser extent Honda's.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Nothing wrong with New Jersey. Welcome to the forum Bill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts