V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Followed the directions of a fellow forum member but not nothing seems to be going right!

I am attempting to change out my fuel tank on a RK Fuel Injected unit... I have:

Removed the dash
Drained the gas
Loosened and attempted to remove the tanks cover plate
Pulled up on the Fuel guage, Unplugged it under the tank first

Now here is where I set:

How do you get the fuel guage wires up through the tank? Do you have to cut the plug off?

How do you get the fuel line off the bottom of the tank? I loosened the line but it now just keeps twisting the hoses inside the tank?

How do you pull the whole unit out of the tank? Shouldn't it come out in one piece? Seems too big to fit throuh the opening!

Don't have my manual yet and any help greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No, release and remove the pins from the connector housing, the pins fit thru the tube.

When you first loosen the fuel pump canopy you can lift it up. The fuel line that goes from the pressure regulator to the supply fitting is secured to the regulator with a clamp. Cut the clamp with sidecutters and the hose assembly comes out of the bottom of the tank. Rest of the assembly comes out the top, in one piece.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update.... Got so aggrivated because nothing seemed to be going my way that I just slammed the dam tank with a hammer... Looks like a sick turtle now.... Doubt if it will ever hold gas again.... Naaa.. just kidding.. Hippo... After carefully reading your reply.... and gaining a little more understanding.... the job is done!... The fuel pump did come out in one piece once I got the fuel line off.... What was I thinking! and, you are right the fuel line does come out through the bottom of the tank... Fuel guage was another matter..... I could not get the dam plug off the end of the wire... I did end up cutting off the plug and on the re-install I solders and heat shrunk everything... Testing was good. Everything works as advertised...

Once the fuel pump was put back in the new tank, the lid (cover) didn't lay flush on the tank.. I reached in and checked for binding and it seems that the fuel pump inself was resting on the bottom of the tank. It could be pressed down flush but would still remain a little cocked... re-checked again... No binding so I pressed and held it down and put the screws to it.. No problem... as said testing was A-Okay... Thank you Hippo for you help...

Doug

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance has meanings other then the ones in the original book.

A good sense of humor seems to help more then anything and big hammers come in handy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts