V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have an oppurtunity to buy a 95 badboy.
have never rode a harley before. have rode quite a bit on other bikes. this fxstsb has 17,370 miles. its like new price is 10k.

my questions
are some of reviews have stated ride is something to get used to.
would the ride be that wierd that it would be uncomfortable?

also what should i look for should i get a compresson test?
tires look great no leaks anywhere

any help would be greatly appreciated.

hope answers are good its a great bike

Thanks Tony

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Like any new bike it takes about a week to get accustomed to the different controls. After that it becomes second nature and the bike doesn't feel strange any more. I went from riding Japanese bikes for many years to my Harley and it was an easy transition.

A compression test is a little extreme, a good test drive will allow you to check out things like the motor/trans/brakes/steering/suspension. Also listen for any ticking or slapping sounds, that could indicate a problem with the drive train.

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
have an oppurtunity to buy a 95 badboy.
have never rode a harley before. have rode quite a bit on other bikes. this fxstsb has 17,370 miles. its like new price is 10k.

my questions are some of reviews have stated ride is something to get used to. would the ride be that wierd that it would be uncomfortable?

tires look great no leaks anywhere

any help would be greatly appreciated.

hope answers are good its a great bike

Thanks Tony
May I add to your thread .. every bike rides or handles a bit different than another, It is a matter of getting used to it. 1 Question, is it the type of bike your looking for meaning "Cruiser or Tourer"

Most cetainly you should I would never suggest that anyone buy any vehicle 2 wheel or 4 without one. First off it is going to give you a real good idea of what has been going on inside the engine along with how it was maintained, afterall the engine is the heart of the machine.
I would also suggest you pull the engine oil dipstick & note not only the color but the oil level. Next I would do a visual of the oil filter condition and quality of filter used.
I would also pay particular attention to the spark plug condition while doing the compression testing. Are the plugs fouled in any way meaning oil deposits or are they snow white. A net search under spark plugs will give you some understanding of how they look. I am not going to go into identifying all the variations here because they are too numerous & easily misunderstood. If they are not fouled alot depends on what fuel has been used as to color.

I would check the tires for weather checking, sidewall cracks and general condition. Do a visual of the brake pad thickness as well.
If you find little bits wrong here & there it often gives me the impression that the previous owner was a little tardy on maintaining the vehicle

Another plus is a 1 owner & clean. Thats a bonus & good insight as to how he valued his ride.

I would then take it for a ride to make sure the bike handles properly ... steering, brakes, acceleration & shifting the transmission for smooth engagement

1 - 4 of 4 Posts