V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well My heritage has arrived and as soon as the rain stops I'm bringing it home... beings I have no S.O or O.M... and the guys who do have harleys around here rag theirs. so much they could care less on the correct way to take care of it.. So after i start riding... is there any thing I need to do or check on a regular basis... I know to check the oil... what about break in? any help ..any one could give would be great! thanks..

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm jealous. Anyway, read the owners manual 2 or 3 times and follow that advice. There really isn't much to do beyond that, just ride & enjoy ! I inspect the critical items after every ride : tires, belt, axle bolts etc. .

JMS

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Let me have it for the first thousand miles and I'll return it ridden hard and put away wet....................and happy!

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
harleygirl64 said:
is there any thing I need to do or check on a regular basis... I know to check the oil...
check your tire pressure once a week

get into the habit of filling your tank on your way home

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
harleygirl64 said:
"... beings I have no S.O or O.M... ... is there any thing I need to do or check on a regular basis...

Batteries. Makes sure you have plenty of Batteries.

LOL! :D Ok so I'm a pick. Big Deal Y'all love me anyway.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And the batteries??? I have a whole closet full... didn't I tell you all I own stock with the energizer company??.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Break in...

Harleygirl64...check your private messages. I just sent you some info you asked about. Also, re-read my message about breaking in your bike. jetBlueman

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have an '03 heritage - not much you have to do. Good advice to read the owners manual a couple of times - and once while you're at your bike to see where each part is and what it does. If in doubt, go to your dealer and ask them - they should be helpful ('specially if you smile and look helpless:))
Before EACH ride: do a walk-a-round: brake hydraulic check, belt tension, tire pressure, throttle check, light check all around, oil level check, spoke tension check, tire check re:any bulges - cuts - bad scuffs.... then ride the heck out of it!!
Enjoy!
BigG

·
Registered
401 Posts
Diane,
I got my 2001 Heritage new from the dealer here and was told not to go past 50 on the first 50 miles and not pass 55 for the first 500. After that open it up and ride baby ride. 20,000 and still riding with a smile. Also my dealer included all maintenance for the first year, I took full advantage of that and he paid for all checks up to and including the 10,000 mile one. The single most important check is your tire pressure, don't go by the owner's manual for this, read the PSI written right on the side of the tire, mine is 41 psi front and rear, your's could be different. Take care, ride safe and enjoy your new bike.

Tom

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Diane this should give you somethings to ponder.

Here's a few thoughts on your new Heritage and yes I've owned one.

Make the bike yours...that's the beauty of a Harley, once they are out of the crate you almost never ever see 2 just alike.
Adjust your bars to where you like them forward or back. The Heritage bars are peculiar in that if you try to line them with the forks you'll be strung out like laid down ape-hangers. Try to keep the grips below the level of your heart, cause on the long runs you hands will go to sleep easier if the grips are too high. Get comfortable grips. Adjust your hand controls to what is most natural to you, it will take several attempts to get it right.

Throw the stock seat out. The Harley one piece is a good and cheaper alternative, than say a Corbin.

Consider replacing the rear brake pedal with one that is more ergonomic in nature.

Adjust your windshield out of your line of sight the best you can.

Invest in an engine guard also known as crash bars for this top heavy bike.

A solo seat and detachable saddlebags is a easy convertible that would really show your rear fender well.

If the clutch is too stiff, there is a clutch assist kit.

If you plan on long rides ditch the spoke wheels in favor of a wheel than can be roadside repaired.

Chrome the lowers.

Chrome nacelle.

Fog light replacement, best $50.00 You'll spend on a Heritage.

Check the air pressure in you tire EVERY single time you ride!

Learn the cornering characteristics of this bike, as the running boards drag easily and especially at low speeds.

Adjust your shifter linkage to where you are most comfortable. Some people eliminate the heel shifter.

Change the oil at 500 miles, 1000, miles and 2500 there after.

Consider the stage II kit. Remap if EFI.

If carb...well that's a different kettle of fish!

I could go on and on...

Ride it safe, ride it right, ride the hell out of it!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Take the MSF course, and then take the MSF ERC course as a follow-up it will save your life!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts