V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 FXRP with standard mufflers on it, so it is very quiet. I want to buy some slip-ons that will bring out the Harley sound but not be overbearing like straight pipes. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Swamprat Rider
757 Posts
Rush or Pythons, neither will break the Bank but give you decent sound ..

·
Registered
789 Posts
Pretty much any aftermarket slip on muffler is going to be louder and sound better than your stock exhaust. Depends on how much you want to spend and which ones look better to you. I don't think any slip on will be as loud as straight pipes. The low end HD Sceamin Eagle slip ons aren't bad either. Exhaust sound is funny thing. What sounds great to one guy sounds like crap to another. Hang out in the parking lot of your local HD shop and listen to what the other guys have. Those online sound clips all sound the same to me. Good luck in your hunt for the right sound.

·
Registered
342 Posts
with slip on's you dont have to do anything to the bike right ? Even if its FI?
I've got Screamin Eagle slip on's on my 04 Heritage and had to do a stage 1 because of the FI. I don't know if it would be necessary with the newer models that have the O2 sensors. I went with the SE's because I wanted just a little more rumble but not so much that it was too load on long rides or for people riding with me.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Cycle Shack makes slip ons for FXR's. Good price and good quality. Urban legend has it that CS used to make the Screamin' Eagle pipes for Harley. Whether that is true or not, I know it's hard to find any pipes for FXR's (including FXRP). FXR's have been out of production for too long. Two years ago I bought a set of one piece (not slip ons but with the headers welded on as one piece) pipe/mufflers from Jireh for $189. Slip ons were much cheaper. I think Jireh has the best prices on CS stuff.

If you're just looking for more sound you could drill the baffles on the pipes you have. You won't get much of a performance increase and you'll have alterred your stockers so that they won't be legal any more. Still that'll get you some bark. I've used a long 1/4" drill and drilled three holes in the end baffle in a triangular pattern. I started the holes with a long 1/8" bit.

Personally I'd go with the slip ons and keep your stockers in case you ever get a noise ticket in which case you can slip on the stockers to get the ticket cleared.

·
Registered
789 Posts
with slip on's you dont have to do anything to the bike right ? Even if its FI?
Yes, you can put slip ons on the bike without doing anything else. It's when you change the air cleaner that you need to re map a FI bike. If you give the motor more air, it'll need more fuel to go with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cycle Shack makes slip ons for FXR's. Good price and good quality. Urban legend has it that CS used to make the Screamin' Eagle pipes for Harley. Whether that is true or not, I know it's hard to find any pipes for FXR's (including FXRP). FXR's have been out of production for too long. Two years ago I bought a set of one piece (not slip ons but with the headers welded on as one piece) pipe/mufflers from Jireh for $189. Slip ons were much cheaper. I think Jireh has the best prices on CS stuff.

If you're just looking for more sound you could drill the baffles on the pipes you have. You won't get much of a performance increase and you'll have alterred your stockers so that they won't be legal any more. Still that'll get you some bark. I've used a long 1/4" drill and drilled three holes in the end baffle in a triangular pattern. I started the holes with a long 1/8" bit.

Personally I'd go with the slip ons and keep your stockers in case you ever get a noise ticket in which case you can slip on the stockers to get the ticket cleared.
Do you drill all the way thru the baffle? Should the holes be drilled towards the outside of the pipe or more to the inside?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Do you drill all the way thru the baffle? Should the holes be drilled towards the outside of the pipe or more to the inside?
Jerry

I drilled the end plate part of the baffles of the mufflers with three holes in a triangular pattern. The sides of the baffles I didn't touch. Look in the end of your muffs and you'll see the "end plate" I'm talking about. It looks like the throttle plate on a butterfly type carb. The steel is soft so drilling is not too hard and you can drill even bigger holes than I did if you want. From then on your pipes will never be stock again and if you get a noise ticket you're screwed. I've seen drilled pipes with one big hole in the center of the plate too. I went with the tri pattern and 1/4" bit because I had the long bits already. No other special reason for my drill pattern and sizes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts