V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rubber grommet in the front fender for the wire going to the fender tip light rotted away, can't find the part number any clues? I have to pull the tire off to get to the wire so I would like to have the part in hand or any other option to replace it.

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
y2kflhr said:
The rubber grommet in the front fender for the wire going to the fender tip light rotted away, can't find the part number any clues? I have to pull the tire off to get to the wire so I would like to have the part in hand or any other option to replace it.

thanks in advance
My parts book shows a Grommet,p/n 11437.Should work for your ride also.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys.....I knew this place would come through for me!! Off to ace over the weekend.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Pulling tire off won't help getting to wire. That end leads to fender tip light. The end you want goes upstairs. I think it ends just behind (under) the front of the gas tank. There's a small connector, you'll need to take the pins out of the connector to slide the grommet over the wire and down to the fender.

Should not have to totally remove tank, just remove bolts, efi quick disconnect, and slide it back a hair to access connector. You'll have to cut a few zip ties, have a few of those to replace.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
ChopperDude said:
There's a small connector, you'll need to take the pins out of the connector to slide the grommet over the wire and down to the fender.
Those pins can be a real bitch most of the time.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, guilt set in, I pulled out the manual, the connector is behind the headlight, no biggie, I can deal with tough pins, easier than pulling the tire off to get to it (I was going to wait till spring when I needed a tire!) looks like an easy fix.

thanks guys

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
IMHO, get 2 grommets. Save one for when you want to do it correctly...
Than I would take another new one and cut a slit in it for the wire. Then it should easily install in the hole with the cut in it without taking anything at all aprart. You just want to make sure you dont chafe...for now.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
right now its zip tied to the fender, the only reason I noticed it was I heard the wire rubbing against the tire when I rolled it out of the garage (not running) its pretty stable now, hopefully I can get it done this weekend, but I like that idea of just cutting it and dealing with it later! I just fixed my exhaust squeak by knocking the rubber block out from under the saddlebag wrapping it in some foam rubber and banging it back in, damn thing doesn't squeak anymore. Easy works for me!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts