V-Twin Forum banner

Need Opinions, Information, Help on a Possible Cam Swap

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Don Dorfman 
#1 ·
I know I didn't think I would ever get this far, but ... I am considering an upgrade. I was going to pick up a new M8 but that's not in the cards for a few more years yet so I am thinking I may upgrade the TC with a cam. Fuel Moto just did a large cam comparison and I think the S&S 583 cam is what I want based on their results.

I ride 75% solo and the balance heavy 2-up. I rarely run beyond 4k rpm and up to 5k less than 10 times in the last 26k miles. Almost of my riding is 2k+ to under 3k rpm.

So the questions.
1. Anybody here have experience with this cam? The S&S site says it was designed for a softail but that flat torque line looks pretty inviting.
2. Based on my riding style, can someone suggest another cam that may be better suited to me?
3. Assuming this is the correct cam, when I look online to find one, there seems to be two choices with 'easy start' or without? is the added expense of 'easy start' worth it in a mostly stock engine?
4. There are a bunch of "kits" for this cam, what do I need, the kits from S&S range from $346 to $1,839.
5. Finally, is this something I can do easily at home? What is a reasonable cost to have it done? The answers here will probably dictate whether I keep thinking about this or shelve it like the new M8.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you have a tach? Are you basing your riding style numbers off of your ears? 2-3K is barely off idle. Is your bike the 16 ultra classic in your sig? Bone stock? You know you will need a tune when the install is done.

Whatever you decide, your battery and starter will thank you if you go easy start.

Only you know your wrenching ability. Do you have the shop manual for your bike. S&S includes some pretty good instructions for their kits, even just the bare cams. You might go to their web site and look up the instructions for what you are considering to see if you feel comfortable going for it yourself. It also depends on what your tool chest looks like.

Do you have an indy you use regularly? Might run it by him.

#3 ·
Based on general specs and the little bit of homework I did.It looks like you will have just north of 200 psi cranking compression with that cam and everything else stock.I believe your bike has factory automatic compression releases so starting won't be a problem with that compression.You will need a tune/tuner of some sort and ignition timing will have to be correct given the compression.Assuming the tune is correct it should pull great from down low and make good tq and hp up to around 4500 rpm.
If you decide to do the install yourself, get a Factory Service Manual.

#4 ·
Thanks for the comments.

I do have a tach, and realize putting along at 2200 or so RPMs is frowned upon but it's flat in FL and I will downshift if I need to accelerate, but even then I rarely break 3000.

I already have an aftermarket intake and header pipe. Tuning will be handled by the ThunderMax with a new base map to start.

I'll have to poke through some youtube videos and perhaps the S&S website to see if I want to take this on myself. I do have an indy I might try as I think he'd be ok based on a couple of chats with him when I stopped by to check out his shop when he first opened (he was a dealer tech for a while before he went on his own). Anyone that I ride with (though I mostly ride alone) goes straight to the local dealer for work.

Thanks again...

#5 ·
take a look at the S&S 551 cam,,, heavy bike,, power to around 5000 rpm from right off idle,,,, I rode a bike with these cams. it was torquey,, but the engine had a piston upgrade to 10.5 to 1 and had a spark knock I couldn't tune out without making the bike a dog at several rpm levels..

#6 ·
Thanks, I will consider it too.

After a bunch of reading and watching last night I am pretty sure I could do this at home myself but I don't want to. I don't have all the tools, or lift, or likely patience. I will talk to the indy I might use to get his input too.

#7 ·
The 583 is intended for lighter scooters, Dyna's and such. And while you can run them in baggers, they require a lot of timing to be back out.

I would look at the S&S 551 for pure two up tag along pulling power. And based on how you say you ride, this would be almost a perfect match. Or a MR 103 if you feel the need to move the power band up a little.

If this is going into the scooter in your sig, then I would just buy the gaskets and seals as needed. Two needle bearings, cam cover gasket and 3 orings, 2 rocker cover gaskets, and push rod orings. Pull the gas tank and the rocker covers, then reuse the oem pushrods. If its water cooled you'll need the seals for the coolant lines at the heads.

#8 ·
Thanks.

It is the bike in my sig.

Last question, do I need "Easy Start" cams or not? Both show compatible with my bike when I look them up, but I don't want waste the money if I don't need them.

Reactions: Slingshot383
#9 ·
Easy Starts, start easier than regular cams do with the compression releases. And torque cams tend to crank a little hard.

But with electric compression releases you don't really need them. And you would need a tuner that would allow you to switch off the electric releases.

Budget build is to use chain drive cams without the releases. Then you are just out the cams, tappets, gaskets and seals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.