V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear tire is getting pretty well worn out. Has anyone replaced the rear tire yet? How much does a replacement rear tire cost? Are there any other tires that will fit on my stock wheels that I should consider. I would like to go a little wider, but I have to stick with the stock wheels for now. Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've heard tell that a 200 will fit with no modifications? This was the route I was planning but an unexpected nail changed that.

Like everything else for the V-rod most dealers don't carry the stock sized or 200 tire for the bike. I got lucky and I found an Avon at my dealer. I've seen the Dunlop's advertised for $205.00 ish. A friend of mine swears by www.motorcycletire.com but if you do a little search and check the shipping etc. sometimes you can find it cheaper. The above site advertises it for $139.99 :eek:

Nevertheless, my next one will probably be a Michelin Pilot sport 200mm

·
Registered
543 Posts
I just had to replace my rear tire last Saturday because of a nail. Lucky I even got in on Saturday. I went to nearest dealer and they put on stock tire fast quick and in a hurry, and that was with a full service schedule. Many thanks to Coziahr HD service dept. The total damages for tire and install were $267. Ouch. But was much better than a Blowout in the middle of nowhere on Saturday night or Sunday. :eek:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes the size is 200/55/ZR18

·
Registered
110 Posts
tires

I have 8500 miles and the tires look good. Discount motorcycle tire.com sells the fronts for $100 and the rears for $128. Looking to change tires at 10k service. Still going to go with dunlop because it is a very soft, sport-like tire and any more than a 180 rear doesn't handle as good.
Also, dunlop doesn't make a 200 in the 207's.
ride safe
vrodtom

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Miles

Bill,
I have 6000 miles on my V-Rod currently. I still have some tread left, but I wanted to get a little head start on the tire research process. I'm thinking I can make it to about 7500 miles with this tire. I haven't even tried a burnout yet.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have been searching and the only tire for now is the Dunlop, I did find the Avon 200 in 18 inch but be careful as that tire is not a radial and I would not match a bias ply with the radial up front.
The rear rim is only 5.5 wide and the largest recomended is 180. I had a Buell S1 that had a 17 x 5.5 rear and a 190 went on just fine.

If only HD had put a 6 inch wide rim with 200 tire stock! I guess when the bike was being developed 6 years ago a 180 was huge and there were no 200, 240 or 250 tires out.:cool:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was wrong in the above post. www.motorcycletire.com has this radial rear tire listed that should work without any mods at all as the swingarm has a boatload of clearance and the typical tight spot (the drive belt) should work with a 200 with a little room to spare.
METZELER ME880 200/50VR18 REAR $149.99

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have had the 200 metzler on for about 600 miles dealer installed for $70 or so, tech said he thinks it handles better,notched lower belt gaurdat the widest part of tire about 1/4 inch for two people to ride other wise okay

1 - 14 of 14 Posts