V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well old reliable finally took the dirt-nap and I am laptop shopping.:mad:

I have been looking around at the usual suspects and leaning toward a new HP or even a Dell.

I did take a gander at the new Apple MacBook Pro with the 17' screen. Looks damn nice but they sure are proud of them! Holy crap; for $2800 it had better be a smokin hot 'puter! :spank:

I have never used a Mac but I like the interface and the reliability reported by most. I don't know squat about the Mac OS (Leopard is the newest I think) but I am VERY gun-shy about the new Vista crap from Bill.

BTW I use (well, used) my laptop daily, on average 3+ hours a day, and am now suffering from major withdrawls right now. The main uses would be web surfing, email (using Outlook), photo editing (I was using Photoshop on the old laptop), some music and general docs. I currently use Office XP Pro which I know CAN run on a MAC but wondering about the shift. Nothing heavy-duty; the photo editing the most intense I'd say. No gaming for now (or the forseeable) and light video stuff; just need to watch an occasional DVD or surf some smu..... videos! #[email protected]

Anyone who uses a Mac (or both preferred) willing to chime in before I blow a bunch of loot on a piece of crap? I like the stability and speed Macs claim, but I'm worried about the compatibility with Office suite stuff (and how much Office for Mac would cost) and..... dayumn they are pricey!

·
Banned
711 Posts
If you're into graphics, lots of photo editing and the like, the mac is for you. A great techy's laptop with the bonus of not having to worry much about the typical MS virus' problems.

Never owned one myself but all I know who have them love them.

They are pricey though.

That said, if you want a lower price, and don't mind the Microsoft problems, stick with a Dell. No need to get Vista. Several people I kjnow have ordered them recently with XP. I know the Dell Vostro laptops give you that option but, if the one you want does not, call in your order. They'll switch the operating system for you.

P.S. Check ebay for mac compatible software. Might save some there. Also, if you have a student type relative, they can buy the Office Suite products for a lot less.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
I bought a used G4 laptop w/ 1.42 g processor and use it for light photoshop duties as such. Took it on a 3400 mile 2 week trip to store & send pictures home from and it worked great. Just packed it in an Oakley laptop bag & threw it in the saddlebag. The laptop was a whopping $500 off e-bay.
Works for me.
Tim

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Mac user all the way and have been since 95. we have a newer dell and i hate that fuccing thing. too many steps to perform a simple task like on a mac. if you buy one i doubt you would ever regret it. as for cost, at one time i compared all the quality, features and speed that come with a mac and what it would take to make an equal other brand, there wasn't that much difference in price just a couple hundred.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Have you used the Vista at all yet? I was shopping for a entry level laptop and al the new ones have Vista. Bought one, an HP and hated the Vista. Even with the memory maxed out (4GB) it was sloowa, sloowwa, slowwwa, and the steps to perform functions...jeeze! The OS overhead is just too much for anything but the fastest machines I suspect. I returned it and found an amazing deal on a first class brand new leftover machine with XP Office Pro, I couldn't be happier. I know I'll have to make the change eventually, just not ready yet.
If money were not such a big issue for me, I probably try one of those Macs, probably will when vendors stop supporting XP, next time I gotta start up with something all new, might as well be Mac, I'm sure they are all that people tout them to be.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Go Max

I use a dell on the road for work-belongs to corporate
but at home its been mac for me and always will be.

·
Colorado crusin'
267 Posts
I am a Mac fan all the way, have been since 1990. Graphic programs seem to work so much easier and simplier even using the same program on the different platforms. I wouldn't own a PC. That being said, I work on a PC all day every day doing 3D CAD work for a manufacturing company. I hate the machine and MS, I do love my job and what I do so I put up with it.
If you really needed to, the new Macs with the duo-core processor can run windows.
-2$en#e-

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
refurbished Dell

Best value on the market are the Dell refurbished units. Now refurbished does not mean it was a used computer that has been overhauled. Generally it means the unit had some problem when it was delivered or before it left the last check point. In some cases it simply means a u it that has some scratched and blemishes on the case.

I was an adjunct A+ tech instructor with the University of Alaska. Over the last five to seven years I can testify to having bought numerous Dell units. Most were refurbished. I have never been disappointed with the value of the units. Additionally Dell has a fantastic service program. Once I had a drive fail in the early evening. After a call to Dell I received a replacement drive within 24 hours. Considering where I live that is great response time by Dell.

The only issue with refurbished is you have to take what they have available at the time. You can not change or add components to the unit they have available.

You simply search the available u its with you personal criteria and find what they have in stock. For now I still chose the operating system (OS) as the first criteria: I stay with XP pro for at least the next year.

Prices are usually 30 40 % less for the refurbished over having one built.

Send me a private e-mail if I can help you with a selection. I helped lot of students make a choice and save money/

Nothing wrong with checking out a MAC. I just find issues with what application selections are available. And I believe MAC's are very pricey for what they provide. My son works in graphic arts and for those application MAC is the only choice.

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
My Fiance is a Graphic artist... she hates Mac, but is forced to use one at work.

I think part of her problem is the IT guy at her company knows nothing about Mac, so she's on her own with any upgrades/updates.

It's pretty, but when it goes down, it goes down hard.

I think, as long as you don't tinker with it, it would probably be ok. A friend in College was a big Mac user, but he was also a tinkerer... I think he had to reinstall his OS more than anyone I know because he'd break something.

Work buys Dell's. You can't beat their service... Especially the next day on-site... and especially for a laptop.

Personally, I use a Sony Vaio. It's one of the VGN-Tx750's... really small, very light... and runs pretty quick.

If you really hate MS, look into linux... or, at least give it a slight chance. Ubuntu has been great for people wanting to dip their toes into linux without too much pain.... It's about as stable as you can get... and most MS based software has free versions for linux. Besides, if you're thinking about going Mac, then you're already considering an OS change.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
evidently her IT guy doesn't know shlt about them and doesn't want to, i know very little when it comes to computers and i have never had a problem keeping mine up and running. the only time i have had to load the OS is when upgrading or the one time i lost a hard drive.

when i bought my first computer in 95 i looked for ease of use and plain common sense performance and after comparing ms to mac it was mac hands down.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
niget2002 said:
My Fiance is a Graphic artist... she hates Mac, but is forced to use one at work.

I think part of her problem is the IT guy at her company knows nothing about Mac, so she's on her own with any upgrades/updates.

It's pretty, but when it goes down, it goes down hard.

I think, as long as you don't tinker with it, it would probably be ok.
A friend in College was a big Mac user, but he was also a tinkerer... I think he had to reinstall his OS more than anyone I know because he'd break something.
I've been on Macs for over 10 years...NEVER.....have I lost one bit of information, nor have i had a catastrophic breakdown. The old OS9 used to crash occasionally, but since installing the newer versions of OSX, less problems yet.Never have I had to re-install my OS, either. I have never had to call or have anyone fix or troubleshoot ANY of my 5 macs, in fact, i've installed hard drives, DVD burners, memory and whatever else I've had to do myself. And I'm an art guy...not a mechanic. These things just keep on going. A PC, nobody I know has an "old" one because they all die slow painful deaths due to viruses and in the end, it's cheaper to just buy a new one...
just my .02¢
Tim
yeah...a dedicated Mac user....

·
Banned
711 Posts
1bdBagr said:
A PC, nobody I know has an "old" one because they all die slow painful deaths due to viruses and in the end, it's cheaper to just buy a new one...
I have never heard of anyone getting rid of a computer, of any kind, due to a virus but if you have friends who want to dump their pc's due to viruses', please let me know. I'd love to have all those "old" ones.

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1bdBagr said:
....These things just keep on going. A PC, nobody I know has an "old" one because they all die slow painful deaths due to viruses and in the end, it's cheaper to just buy a new one...
That's why I'm leaning toward a Mac to start with. I have never used one, but I am fed up with Bill's crap and the slow-downs from different malware, spybots and virus crap. I am sick of programs just crapping out and when you do the error report, it tells you a driver is the culprit. Never says what driver, just take your best guess since you hadn't installed any new drivers in years; well other than the freaking Windows Update.....:thumbsdn:

Vista seems like a piece of meat that is designed to obsolete both hardware and software. From the little exposure I have had to it, it seems like a resource hog the likes of which I didn't think even MS could reach. I'm tired of slow. I'm tired of crashed. I'm tired of what manufacturers want you to think are disposable computers but charge a small fortune for them (yea, a grand or more may be affordable every few years for some but not me).

:rant off:

As you might guess, I am leaning toward a Mac. Issue is since I will go with a loaded one and get what I want (big screen, quick proc and large HDD), they are just too pricy now and it seems like a HUGE jump to Mac OS from Win. Still looking at a new HP (Pavillion dv9620), I just hate to "settle" since I use the thing a lot; I want to get this one right since I will have it for a minimum of 5 years.

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
Well... maybe I can be enlightened about some Mac questions I have then...

1) When upgrading OSx from Jaguar to Panther to Tiger... do you have to pay for each of those upgrades? Are they more than just service Packs (If I may use a windows term in a Mac posting)?

2) Why does Macintosh release udates that require a very large number of software companies to have to issue patches for incompatabilites? http://www.macintouch.com/tigerreview/incompatibility.html (note Adobe products as being mentioned a bunch)

BTW... 2) is part of the reason my fiance hates Mac. She upgraded from 10.3. to 10.4... and it broke her entire Adobe suite.

I guess looking through the list, "most" of the software is somewhat older than the latest version.... but even then, I don't remember upgrading windows from XP to XP SP2 and having that break any software.

And before someone comes in and makes a comment about Mac's ability to fend of viruses... My answer is not that it can't be done, but why bother? People write viruses because they want to infect as many computers as possible... with maybe 10% market share, who wants to take the time to write one? I guess for Mac, right now, the best defense to have, is simply to not need one.

I guess, in the end, I still just don't understand what the big deal about a Mac is.

I still say, if you want to try an alternative to windows...

Buy the HP you're looking at... burn the install disk for Ubuntu, and try installing it on the HP. IF you don't like it, then use HP's repair disks to reinstall the system the way it came.... who know's you might like it.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Check around on the web. Some of the big security outfits that monitor "all things security" have been reporting more and more attacks on MAC's. The consensus seems to be that they are now being targeted a lot more.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
THE MAC falicy

I won't tell you the MAC line of how much easier they are to use than a PC. That was their claim for years. The were so easy even a kid could use them. That is all pretty old stuff since windows 95; 12 years ago. For years MAC got away with the same line as they inundated school districts with millions of units. Now many school districts have replaced MACS with PC units. Cost is one factor when it comes to school districts and generals PC are less expensive than MACS.

It really comes down to two issues: what are you using the box for and what does it have to be compatible with. No doubt MAC has focused itself in the graphics arts world of software so there is no better choice than a MAC for those applications. Now compatibility is another story. There are still a multitude of applications that are not compatible between the MAC and the PC (Microsoft based.) If you are going to use applications where you need to share information with other users you really have to determine if there will be issues with the different systems. While a number of programs are available in multiple OS versions not all applications are.

What computer to purchase is subject to lots of opinions. It is easy to see the two schools of MAC and PC in the postings in this thread. In the end you are the one who has to deal with problems. You need to base your selection of what will serve your needs, fall within your price range and probably be functional for the next five years (typical projected life of most computers based upon software design, etc.)

I can give you lots of examples where the choice made based on friends opinions or store clerks knowledge ended up costing the purchaser lot of unnecessary grief. Unless your friends are truly knowledgeable of multiple applications and hardware specifications they are just giving you opinion. Store clerks tend to be even more dangerous as they typically only know about the system the are selling. Most clerks can not tell you anything that is not on the company literature and often they don't even read that information and end up giving out bogus knowledge. A great example is how often the clerk sells a computer on the basis that it will be faster on the Internet than other units. A line that is complete BS as there has not been a computer manufactured since the original PC that is capable of being faster on the net. The main factor is how you are connected to the net: dial-up, wireless, T1, cable modem and the related speed you pay for to your ISP provider.

There are only a few known facts in the computer world. One is they will change without notice. Second is most developers only care about their product and compatibility with other versions is not always a prime factor in their new program. Third charges in technology are still happening at a rapid pace; what you buy today is obsolete when you bought it.

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really need to get my hands on one of each and take it for a spin.

In an age of increased touchy-feely crap, to me is seems to really come down to the "feel" of each.

As ToyBox mentioned, all of this is fairly subjective. The biggest opinions I was curious to hear from are:

- The folks that recently shifted from Win to Mac (within the last year or so).
- The folks that have actually used both Vista and Mac (Leopard users preferred).

I am NOT under the mis-conception that Apple has somehow reached computer nirvana; their commercials are entertaining but taken with a grain of salt. I am just curious about the general impressions from those who have used both.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Here is how I look at it.

There are a few laptops in the $499-599 range with vista home premium. Igig of ram (i would probably add another gig $30-50), 120 gig hard drives, cd/dvd burners, and a core duo processor. A screaming deal if you ask me. (best buy gateway, circuit city toshiba).

A mac will be at least twice that, are they twice as good? I don't think so.

If you really want to spend $1000+ on a laptop you will get a lot of features for that price in a PC laptop.

·
In the wind and Loving it
363 Posts
I have used both Vista and Mac OS 10.4. And Yes I am MS cert. and a old mac addict. Hands down on using the MAC. I work with both everyday. Vista is slower to start and slower using apps. :corn:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts