V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's getting cold up here in the n.east and i need a warm pair of riding boots. i have plantar facistis (heel pain) so i need a boot that is good for walking with a lot of support.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Red Wing makes some nice boots designed specifically for bikers. They start at about $130. Don't buy HD boots. They're poorly made in China.

·
Registered
182 Posts
just an idea

Just an idea but instead of new boots, how about a pair of gerbing heated socks? They are something like 50 dollars and you get to keep your current boots.
I wear regular Harley boots with the socks in 30 degree riding temperature and my feet stay warm with the socks. Dan

·
A Bit Off Center
31 Posts
Geoff said:
Red Wing makes some nice boots designed specifically for bikers. They start at about $130. Don't buy HD boots. They're poorly made in China.

I have a pair of Red Wings and I really like them. The sole will wear out faster than some boots on the market, however the comfort factor is very high. They are light, cool in the summer and warm and dry in the winter here in the Puget Sound area.

Georgia Boots are also very nice and people seem to forget about them. G.I. Joes sells them and you can also get them at http://www.georgiaboots.com/

Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
ddwyer said:
I have plantar facistis (heel pain) so i need a boot that is good for walking with a lot of support.
I feel your pain. I got that, too. Fixed it in one foot and now I have it in the other. Go figure.

I ride in a pair of Red Wings. They aren't too bad but it's as good as wearing a shoe with either serious arch support or a heel cup.

As soon as I am off the bike, I try to get out of the boots as quick as I can. Best thing I've found for plantar facitis is a Mephisto or Birkenstock sandal. I know. I know. They don't exactly go with a black Harley Tee :nono: but at least I can walk.

·
Closet Doof
30 Posts
Whatever boots you buy, make sure the insoles can be removed and replace them with a good orthotic. I recommend Powersteps or Superfeet. You could go to the doc and get a custom set of orthotic, for acouple hundred$, but these are much cheaper (maybe $30) and can work just as well. You can find them at any good running store (not the mall! a place that caters to the marathon crowd).

I had a severe case. It hurt so bad one day I had to crawl to the door to let my little girl in. If you want to cure it, here is what the marathoners do:

Freeze a small water bottle or freeze some water in dixie cups. Two or three times a day, take off the shoes and socks, put the frozen bottle on the floor, and roll it back and forth under your foot. You want to press firmly, its kind of like a deep ice massage.

Stretch your calves and hamstrings two or three times a day. Seems wierd, but they are all linked together and if they're tight it pulls your PF causing the pain.

It worked for me! Ran two marathons w/o pain. OK without plantar fasciitis pain, rest of body hurt like hell!

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
2nd for a good pair of Danners. Yes, they cost, but once you try a pair they will put ALL the others to shame. A classic case of getting what you pay for.

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
I disagree on the quality of Harley boots. Like anything else, the quality varies.

I bought two pair of HD boots; one full-size (known locally as Franken-boots), and the other half-height size. My initial opinion was that they were too wide for my size.

As time went on, I found that summer heat was a factor and they fit just fine. The half-height broke in faster, and to this day are more comfy.

My original pair of full-size broke at the zipper--just as they were getting broke in enough to be comfortable. Harley replaced them for free with a slightly different style. I find these new ones a bit tight on the ankle. However with laces and zippers to play with, I'm sure I'll find the formula.

Old age has made me not trust 'catch all' statements.

Try the boot that feels comfortable and allows you to operate the pedals without restraint.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a pair of HD boots right now and they suck. My next pair will be Cruiserworks. They are all day comfortable even for walking, and guaranteed waterproof. The only drawback is that they are pricey. About 220 a pair.

Regards,

Bill

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rocky Wellingtons

I picked up a pair of Rocky Wellingtons about 1.5 years ago, and have been more than happy with them. Oiled leather, Gore-Tex inner lining, very easy on-off. This was the seller for me, as I have high arches and cannot wear western boots. The sole is incredibly comfortable and durable, as it is very well cushioned. Almost like wearing athletic shoes.

They are a warm boot. I have worn them riding as low as 28 degrees on a Sporty. I commute 80 miles, or 1.5 hours to work. Rain only comes in through the top when the denim gets saturated.

I haven't been sorry at all that I bought these. Paid about $110.00

·
ALK
321 Posts
cruiserworks

I have a couple pair of cruiserworks boots. They are water proof and reasonably comfortable. However, if it makes a difference, they are made in Canada.

Also, I have three pair of Danner, The Winter Lights work well for me both in the field and on the road along with a couple pair of quality insulated/wool socks.

IMHO, if the budget permits, cost should not be a limiting factor for high quality footware.

I know I would not accept lower quality (ie: price) for a house foundation.

I see a good pair of well fitting boots as my foundation.

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
ddwyer said:
it's getting cold up here in the n.east and i need a warm pair of riding boots. i have plantar facistis (heel pain) so i need a boot that is good for walking with a lot of support.
west coast shoe(wesco) can make what ever you need,but $$$$

·
Fixxer of broken things
292 Posts
Just a note.Don't forget about your local BMW motorcycle dealer they have many styles of boots.I wear there insulated and gore-tex lined touring boots and I have heel spurs,they very well made and very comfortable to walk in.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I bought a pair of magnum insulated boots and they're warm and comfortable, but I've heard great things about red wing boots. They were out of my price range though. they're supposed to be some of the most comfortable boots around and made in the USA.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts