V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently ride an '05 Mean Streak 1600, but am thinking of buying a used Dyna Super Glide Sport. I read a magazine review of the FXDX last night and they reported they "hated" this bike, stating it vibrated horribly and was difficult to keep in a straight line. I was initially thinking of buying the new Sportster 1200 Low, but I think I may need a little bigger bike. The FXDX is the closest thing to my Mean Streak and I love the blacked out motor. Please give me input on the FXDX and tell me what you think of it. Especially those of you who may have owned Japanese big twins in the past. Are some of these fuel injected, also?
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I own a 2003 FXDXT, same bike with a fairing and bags from the factory. The articles I have read say that it is/was the best all-round bike that Harley ever built. I can't say how it compares to a Japenese V-Twin. I have never experienced any front end vibration.

·
Registered
143 Posts
rmmccon said:
I own a FXDXT, same bike with a fairing and bags from the factory. The articles I have read say that it is/was the best all round bike that Harley ever built.
there was a problem with the front vibration, was caused by low fluid in forks.
they dont make the FXDX anymore.

I love mine, and wont trade for nothing...

·
04 Super Glide Sport
290 Posts
Fxdxi

My bike rides very smooth at slow speeds to over 100 mph. It does have the typical vibration of a big twin, at idle, which I love (rode Harleys all my life). I was unaware of any vibration in the front end and I certainly would not go over 100 if the front end was not solid. It is also excellent in the turns.

I suggest you test ride one, and you'll agree that it is the best handling Harley out there. The new Dyna may be the exception, but I have not had the pleasure to test ride one. A lot of these magazines if metric types are unfamiliar with the Harley Davidson and may have a bias if it's not a smooth in-line 4. Both BMW & Ducati, etc. have a particular ride and feel and people tend to have a bias against a bike when they're not familiar with it.

The FXDX was not discontinued due to any fork vibration, it simply came down to units sold, and in 06 several improvements were made to the Dyna line including the beefier front forks/trees.

Here's a link with more info on the Dynas. Hope this helps.

http://www.dyna.dk/

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi have a 2003 FXDX and a BMWR80 (old, from 1985). The second was suppose to be one of the smooter bike at the time I bought it. Let me tell you that I find absolutely more relaxing riding my Dyna now, and with less vibes too. Dyna snakes at idle, but when you stert moving becomes a real feather bead. You stay IN the bike, while with BMW, aswell as with Sporty, You stay ON the top of it. Baricenter is also lower. If you are in search of an all purpose bike, and you ar not anymore in love with ***, FXDX is great. Indeed I wouldn't change it now (also becasue of all the money I spent it on ;) )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dollar for dollar, I don't think there's a better Harley out there. If you really like to ride and carve the corners, the FXDX will do it. I have a '99, so I didn't get the trick adjustable suspension. I've considered upgrading, but it rides so well, I changed my mind.

The blacked out components are simply a matter of taste. I dig it. Most people prefer chrome on their bikes. You will stand out at bike night. And you can ride when others are polishing water spots from their chrome!

I also prefer the mid-mount controls. I see a lot of guys change them out to the forwards, but for me the mids give better control of my weight when I'm in the turns. I have highway pegs to strech out.

I think this is the most "riding" oriented Harley made with the possible exceptions of the 1200 Roadster and 883 Sport.

I've experienced very little vibration at speed, and none at all from the forks. I've never heard of anyone who has. For real-world riding, this is a do-it-all Harley. It will chug around town, tour the interstates, and carve the corners better than most cruisers.

Overall, the FXDX is a niche bike in the Harley lineup. Kinda like the Road Glide or the 883 Sport. A lot of people are put off by all the black. That means they are generally cheaper that other Dynas on the used market. And that means good news for you!

Not many people really "get" this bike, but those who do are pleased with the results.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I bought my 2004 FXDXI late in the 2004 year, the 2005's were on the floor. As a non-Harley rider just browsing I asked the manager "what is your slowest selling motorcycle?" he showed me the gray, '04 FXDXI that he *really* wanted to move. It was love at first sight and the fact he was cutting a deal meant I just had to have it!
Basicaly it's a rider's Dyna. The long travel suspension gives it much needed cornering clearance and ride quality. The bars just feel right and the tach and speedo are up where you can see them. The fuel injection works perfectly. The only thing I didn't care for was the stock seat. It was too dished and crowded me forward.
I use it as a one-up motorcycle and have added the following: SE air cleaner kit with the Eprom re-mapped, tool pouch, Corbin solo saddle, rear fender rack, Boss Bag removable luggage, HD standard height removable windshield with a few inches more cut off, passing lamps, and heated grips. If I was doing it over I might not add the passing lamps. They work ok I'm just not sure I like their looks. I can't reccommend the FXDX too highly, you'll love it!
Rick

·
Banned
17,238 Posts
fxdx

I have a 2002 fxdx-t. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Harley's best handling bike after the Sportster. I think the fxdx was discontiued because the 2005
Sportster comes with Buell heads and SE cams. It kicks ass.

Fred

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
lsmith,

FWIW - I think the FXDX and FXD models are great and the the DX was set up to handle better. Looks, performance and they "do it all." I'm an "old-school" guy who didn't mind vibration on my old Triumph - and find the dyna almost too smooth. If you cut your teeth on Japanese inline 4s - it may be more noticeable, but in the sum, I can't imagine anyone really finding it objectionable.

As for a front end vibration or wobble - something's not right and you need to check it out. One of the things that amazed me is how rock-steady these bikes are at freeway speeds and beyond. Properly set up, they're like on rails.

I think if you get the Harley - you'll never look back.

·
Acquisitions
4,513 Posts
Ditto to all of the above! I have 36k on my 2000 fxdx and wouldn't trade it for any other bike in the harley line. She handles great in the twisty's and brakes real well with the duel disc up front. production was 1999 till 2005. the best bike harley ever made!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see a couple of you have mentioned the newer rubber-mount Sportster. I was considering buying the new 1200 Low Sportster. It looks like a smaller size FXDX, only I wish it had the blacked out motor. Do any of you think the Sportster 1200 Low would be comparable to the FXDX? I could buy a new Sportster or a really nice, used FXDX for about the same price. I do, however, have a passenger on occasion. Although, my wife and I recently had a baby and she probably won't be riding all that much for a while.
Please give me your thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
lsmith,

Boy - I dunno about that one. If the rubber mount had been avaiable when I bought mine - I would certainly have looked. I was sorely tempted by the Sportster Sport model - but wanted something my wife might like riding on too. I also always liked the Super Glide.

I do not regret the Super Glide, but given the power to weight difference of the 03 Sporty - don't think I'd have been disappointed with it either.

That said - I think the rubber Sporty's give incredible versatility. My only gripe is that they're near as heavy now as a Super Glide. Still, with more ground clearance I'm sure they're loads of fun. You might try renting one and then a FXDX -- and see what rings your bell. Hey - there's no wrong answer!

GC

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I had a 99 FXDX and loved it , I put 10K miles on it and had a total blast . I had a stage I with a Mikuni 42 and it had 3.37 gearing. Also stainless lines. It handled great in the twisties and was a hoot to ride. I sold it because my wife said I was always riding too fast on it, true enough . :)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Regarding the FXDX vs the new rubber mounted 1200 sporty's .. My wife has a 1200 c and it is FAST , handles great and is reasonably priced. I've ridden the 1200R as well . I like the low center of gravity of the big twins , but the sporties are more flickable in the really tight turns. If budget is a concern , I'd at least ride a new 1200 to see .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Started with an '01 sportster, traded to a '99 softail, traded again to an '01 heritage, momentary lapse of judgement caused me to trade for a '03
goldwing, an '04 FXDWG, a '99 road king, then a string of electra glides/ultras'00-'06, then finally a 2002 FXDX. (I have ridden most harleys, I like this one best) What a breath of fresh air. I put one of those goofy looking "plexi-fairings" on it and it works great. I have the wind protection and rubber mount motor of an ultra, the nimbleness of a sportster. It rides great, and if it didn't, I could adjust it until it did. Throw a set of saddle bags over and a T bag and I can carry almost as much stuff. On the touring bikes, I ground my floor boards all the time. I don't or haven't yet had the guts to drag the pegs on this one. It seems to be a really good comprimise, where the trade offs are more than made up for. As far as vibration, the factory seat transmitted a bunch. I got another seat and it is great now. All harleys I have owned had soft rubber bushings on the risers, my fxdx has a very solid handlebar mount and does transmit some vibration. If this gets annoying, I will put some softer bushings in. After spending a wheel barrow load of cash on chrome gee gaws, I love the black stuff. It seems to be a riders bike instead of a poser bike. Oh yeah, with a 95" kit and 204 cams, it will bark the tire in third gear, lift the front in second. I don't know what else you could want in a bike. A couple of months ago, a nice one could be bought on e-bay for less than $10,000.
What a sweet deal.
Chris

·
04 Super Glide Sport
290 Posts
Overall, you'll find the FXDX (especially with the adjustable suspension) a better bike. The main advantage of the sporty is that it will be more flickable in the turns. The FXDX will be a much better highway or two-up bike in my opinion.

See the review of these two bikes in the Iron Works magazine Sep/Oct 04, pages 96-99. Good luck on whatever the choice, both are very good bikes.:chopper:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fxdx

I, too, bought an '04 'DX late in the model year - dealer looking to move it - got it well under MSRP. 100% happy with the bike. Good ride, good handling, understated good looks. ...still my favorite Harley. Low Rider is #2.

XLCH74 / FXDX04

View attachment 29215

·
Registered
338 Posts
lsmith said:
I see a couple of you have mentioned the newer rubber-mount Sportster. I was considering buying the new 1200 Low Sportster. It looks like a smaller size FXDX, only I wish it had the blacked out motor. Do any of you think the Sportster 1200 Low would be comparable to the FXDX? I could buy a new Sportster or a really nice, used FXDX for about the same price. I do, however, have a passenger on occasion. Although, my wife and I recently had a baby and she probably won't be riding all that much for a while.
Please give me your thoughts. Thanks.
I own both a 1995 XL 1200 and a 2002 FXD. Both are set up exactly the same -- Screaming Eagle slip-ons,rejetted carbs and Screaming Eagle aircleaners. Both are black. Most folks can't tell them apart. Their performance is similar. In my opinion the real Harley hotrod for 2006 is not any bike in the Dyna line, it's the XL 1200 R.

From the Harley website:

"...In the saddle of a 1200 Roadster, any stretch of pavement is definitely the place to be. It’s always been that way. Maybe it’s the wrinkle black, 6,000-rpm redline Evolution® powertrain ...
... with high-compression, high-flow heads and performance cams that make it so. Or maybe it’s the famed XL frame that makes each and every corner feel like bliss. Whichever it is, we dressed the 1200 Roadster up for any asphalt-eating occasion. Triple-disc brakes. Wide polished bar. Big side-by-side speedo and tach. Chrome headlight visor. Two-up seat. Staggered dual pipes. So what are you waiting for? Get in the saddle and start enjoying all of those places-to-be out there..."

Sure as heck sounds like a hotrod bike to me.

Tom :cool:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.