V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering converting the triple trees on my 05 Low Rider (39mm) to Mid or Wide Glide. I just like the wider look.

Any pros, cons, or general info that anyone could pass along would be appreciated. Please post PICTURES if you have them!

Also, is it a complicated procedure or OK for a fairly green DIYer with instructions, help, and a new set of wrenches?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I put a Kennedy Mid Glide Kit onto my 92 Low Rider Custom. It looked beyond way cool ,Handled like the original and was easy to fit. It was quite inexpensive as well. Steve Kennedy was awesome to deal with and was very helpful too. Everything went as according to the instructions (As good as any genuine Harley gear) Yup easy as to fit,only real problem was getting the steering head bearing tension right.Not too difficult tho for someone who is all thumbs like me!!

Did I mention it looked cool.....................

·
Registered
40 Posts
Calum,

I am having trouble accessing the price on Kennedy's website. how much did the conversion cost? Was it available in chrome? Did you choose the bottom mount or the top mount?

·
Registered
17 Posts
CDuke123 said:
Calum,

I am having trouble accessing the price on Kennedy's website. how much did the conversion cost? Was it available in chrome? Did you choose the bottom mount or the top mount?
Gudday mate how do?? http://www.kennedyprecision.co.nz/index.htm

I bought the Mid Glide in polished alloy with cut outs. It was at the time (approx 4 years ago so anything could have happend in the meantime) $1150 New Zealand Pesos (which was aprox $600 US at the time)Steve normally doesnt show prices on his website you have to get the catalogue sent out or e-mailed. I don`t underrstand the top mount or bottom mount thing tho?

If I was to buy another one I would go for chrome cause I hate polishing alloy. Gotta admit tho that when it comes out of the box you would think it was chrome!! The cutouts were a pain too keep clean as well. I also got Steve to make me a bracket so I could fit a padlock to lock the steering as well.(Dynas don`t do that eh??)

Things may have changed in four years but I can`t say enough about the quality of the product or how good Steve was to deal with.

Just realised what you meant mate regarding the top or bottom mount. Mine was the bottom mount cause the bike was a factory Low Rider Custom and it was bottom mount standard headlight. If you bike is a standard top mount it may become a mission to swap with your idiot lights etc and trying to find somewhere to mount them. My best recomendation would be to spend a buck on a phone call to Steve and see what he has to say.

Cheers Calum

·
Takin' the long way home!
113 Posts
Check out custom cycle engineering. They have a mid and a wide glide conversion kit. Very high quality. I have the kit (midglide) but haven't put it on yet. They have both a top or bottom mount headlight option. Also, if you go with the bottom mount headlight conversion and you need somewhere to put the idiot lights (as on my lowrider), they have asolution that puts 4 (out of the 5) lights in the top tree. Another solution for idiot light relocation is the risers from an '06 lowrider. That puts the lights (all 5) in the handlebar clamp. Looks pretty good too. Hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
SlowRider said:
Check out custom cycle engineering. They have a mid and a wide glide conversion kit. Very high quality. I have the kit (midglide) but haven't put it on yet. They have both a top or bottom mount headlight option. Also, if you go with the bottom mount headlight conversion and you need somewhere to put the idiot lights (as on my lowrider), they have asolution that puts 4 (out of the 5) lights in the top tree. Another solution for idiot light relocation is the risers from an '06 lowrider. That puts the lights (all 5) in the handlebar clamp. Looks pretty good too. Hope it helps.
Another solution is to do away with the idiot lights with the bottom mount for the headlight--much cleaner look and who needs the idiot lights anyway.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My plan was to completely eliminate the idiot lights. I don't really use them anyway. It should look good and fairly easy to remove.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts