V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Here We Go, Steelers
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the PennDOT site for an answer with no success:

Are side mount license plates legal? Can anyone point me to a website that details motorcycle regulations in PA?

Thanks

·
Banned
711 Posts
I know several bikes with side mounted plates (installed vertically too) and all have passed PA inspections each year.

You might just call a local inspection station for confirmation.

The PennDot site has bikers manuals as well as the vehicle code and side plates are not addressed.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
Z&M mounted mine under the left passenger floorboard, which is where some friends also have there's.
last bike was on the front,left, lower crash bar mounting bolt...doesn't work with lower fairings.
some insp. say the plate has to also have a rivet...others don't care.

i understand it's supposed to be on the left front half of the bike...

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
xkvator said:
Z&M mounted mine under the left passenger floorboard, which is where some friends also have there's.
last bike was on the front,left, lower crash bar mounting bolt...doesn't work with lower fairings.
some insp. say the plate has to also have a rivet...others don't care.

i understand it's supposed to be on the left front half of the bike...

I believe that he is referring to licence plates and not inspection plates, althogh you are correct that PENDOT requires that an INSPECTION sticker must be mounted on the vehicle in such a way that removal would cause destruction of the sticker so a rivet or the mounting screw should be behind the sticker preventing removal without destruction of the sticker.
That being said, I do not see many at all mounted this way if done on an accessory plate (mine is not and passes inspection every time)

Now, as far as licence plates, they must be mounted in a level Horizontal plane and be clearly visible at 45 degree angles from 50 feet behind the vehicle and have appropriate lighting.
That being said, again, it is an issue of enforcement by both inspectors and LEO's and many do not conform as I have seen.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I use a bolt up inspection plate and haven't had any issue with it regardless of who inspects it. I was down at Montco Harley to snag the free lunch a while back and they were talking about getting written up down around Philly for vertical plates. The way they were explaining it the issue was not motorcycle but plate orientation.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
machinist said:
I use a bolt up inspection plate and haven't had any issue with it regardless of who inspects it. I was down at Montco Harley to snag the free lunch a while back and they were talking about getting written up down around Philly for vertical plates. The way they were explaining it the issue was not motorcycle but plate orientation.
Yep, Harrisburg as well, got written up in BOTH and e-bayed the verticle mount and mounted mine horizontal. Trooper gave me the low down as I have conveyed above.

That being said, the same trooper saw me 3 weeks later and commented that he was pleased to see that I had made the changes necessary BUT it is now horizontal mounted on the left swing arm and cannot be viewed fully from the right side at 45 degrees from 50 feet.
Go figure.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
If mounting both to the side, the side mounted tailight is a Pa inspection problem also. If only one, it must be centrally located.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Above replys are correct. Plate must be horizontal and visible from both sides of the cycle. If it's mounted to the swing arm, chances are it will not comply. I have seen plates mounted further back on the fender that are up to code despite not being centered. Some antique and classic cycles are exempt from this centered plate restriction. If you risk it and get nailed it's $106.50.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts