V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently own a '99 Wide Glide and love the bike but it and I are both getting older. I've considered a Heritage but lately have been talked out of that and into a Street Glide or Road King. Finances prohibit the SG and the RK Police model looks affordable. This weekend while in Daytona I talked to the sales people at Destination about a used Police model. It was a 2008 with 4000 miles and I don't think I would want anything older than an '08. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations as to buying a RK Police model? Iv'e been told that they have the 103 CI motor, oil cooler, heavy duty clutch and alternator, is this fact or sales talk? The WG is the first Harley that I've owned and although there have been some issues I am thoroughly convinced there is nothing to compare to a HD.

·
Swamprat Rider
757 Posts
Know several that have had good luck with used Police Bikes .. Think would do better being that you are in FL Most Police Dept ride down them down here, and not just for parade use like some do .. No Real Suggestions other then look it over well and test ride and if it suits you Go For It ...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I personally would stay away from PD bikes, some are just to trashed, most PD's lease now days and they are looking to get max usage, I personally know the guy in charge of the PD bikes in Miami,bikes are usually turned in with 80K plus, and second I doubt seriously that a 08 PD bike has only 4k and is back at the dealer, third I would not trust what any sales guy tells me at Destination. JMO

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just test ride all three bikes. I have only owned two Harley's and they have both been Ultras. There is nothing wrong with a Heritage. They are fine bikes too. I love the way they ride. I would love to have one of them too. I do a lot of traveling and wanted the tour pack. That's why I went with the Ultra. Go to the dealership and rent each bike for a day. That way you will know which bike fits you the best. Small price to pay to get the right bike. I love the Road King, Street Glide and the Heritage. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Just my two cents. Plus, GET WHAT YOU WANT! Don't let anyone else tell you what to buy. You are the one that is going to be riding it! Good Luck!

Deac

·
Bon temps rouler!
685 Posts
I ride a 2002 Road King Police, love the bike and would never part with it. I purchased it for 9K with 15K miles on it. Customized it a bit since I got it.

In 2002 the Police bikes were no different than civilian bikes, don't know about the later models. Got the 2002 because of the good solid bottom end, with the Timken bearings and forged crank.

Very strong reliable bike, wouldn't trade it for anything.

BTW, I also ride a 2006 Heritage. Another awesome bike!

·
Registered
766 Posts
If u find a good deal on one and like it, buy it! I bought mine in '08 with 19,000 miles for $10,000. It had came with a leather touring seat, detachable backrest and luggage rack. I love it, and am currently at 49,000 miles. I have had zero problems and would never part with it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also ride a Road King Police. Also love it. It's an 04 and when I bought it 3 years ago it only had 9K miles on it. I'm now at 31k with no problems. It was brought into Canada from the US by a dealer, so it's the same thing as you would ride. As far as I've researched and read here on different forms, the police model is no different from the civilian model for my year anyway. Don't know if that's really changed. The things I like best are, the best seat Harley ever made, ride it before you change it. You'll be in the saddle a lot longer than your buddies. It comes with a tach, an extra on most other bikes. And it's a blank canvas to start your own personalizing. If you really want it buy it or even shop around on line. There are more out there. And yes, it's still a Harley below the surface, maybe not as shiney as the civilian model, YET!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an 06 flhtpi and love it. I bought mine 3 yrs ago with 3000 miles on it and now has 20000 on it. The only prob. I have had is my shift levers fell off on a 3000 mile trip to NY for Sept. 11. It looks like a street glide now. badlander seat, python slip ons, VH fuel pack, SE air cleaner, 12 in. bagger apes(love em),lowered front fender,lowered rear 2 in.,removed bag rails, and so on. They have good prices on them. A friend of mine has a 07 flhtpi with 96 in. motor but it has rear anti lock brakes and it takes up half of the right saddle bag. I think that is the only year like that.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
ABS option for Police bikes started in 05. They were big units that did take about 1/3 of the right saddle bag. by 08 they went with the smaller civilian ABS setup.

07 and up have 103 engines, but stock 96 cams. Still, they are a nice bump over the 96 for regular riding.

They do have the larger alternator, as police bikes have a lot of electronic gear bolted on them for police service. That will be removed by the department before selling them to civilians, but the large stock alternator stays on the bike. I don't have the actual output numbers, and it may be that the current ultra classic has the same alternator, but either way, it puts out plenty of current to run all the electric dodads you're likely to want.

Larger clutch, maybe. They used to, but once again the civilian HD's may have caught up.

There is no reason to avoid a Police HD in particular. Even the ones that get run hard get very good maintance, at least if they are in the leased program. Most motor officers are given one bike at a time for at least a year, and that is their bike. It's not like there is a motorpool of Harley's at most departments, and an officer just grabs a different bike each day. Since it's their bike alone, they tend to get pretty nicely taken care of, and not overly abused. Use the same judgment when selecting a police bike as you would selecting a civilian bike, and you should be fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a 2k9 RK Cop Bike. 103 ci motor, HD clutch, oil cooler, hockey puck bags, air ride seat, etc. Changed fluids, new front tire. Orlando auctiion, $9K! Put on about 500 miles, everything wkg just fine!=

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts