V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Ultra Classic and need to change the rear tire. The garage can't change it unless I remove the wheel (they are booked up for weeks). I haven't done this before so would like some help if possible. How do I remove the rear wheel? I got the wheel off the ground and the saddlebags off. It would appear that I have to unhook the shocks at the bottom and let the swingarm drop, then remove the nut on the left side, remove the adjusters so the wheel will move forward to get the belt off and pull it out. Is there a rod that goes all the way through the hub that I have to remove, it would seem so? If anyone can help it would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry that there has been no response for you, everyone must be out riding. Haven't attempted the rear wheel removal yet, but if this blasted scanner works, I should be able to send you a page from the 2002 Touring manual, good luck.........

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Make sure to be careful when removing the mufflers.

If they are tight, which the right side probably will be,
be sure to support the Y-Pipe so ya don't crack it.

It is a lousy design and prone to stress cracking.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Replacing your pipes

And when you are replacing the pipes smear PLENTY of copper grease on the end of the downpipes before you put the mufflers on.
Stops them welding themselves together next time!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Handy little thing is to take a measurement form center to center on the swingarm to the axial bolts and write it down.....Makes for getting all back in place on reassembly or real close anyway on belt tension and such

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I use a cheap vernier caliper to do just that! :D

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
You could try these usefull tips I've found helps!!!
Dermot.

This method allows rear tire
removal *without* removing any exhaust parts or wheel realignment. This method was suggested to me by the esteemed HogDr and I've used it 4 or 5 times...... A hydraulic lift is a must......

Step # 1..... Ah, you *do* have the shop manual for your bike, don't you?

Raise bike with lift *just* enough to take weight off rear

Remove both lower shock bolts and swing shocks rearward outta the way

Lower lift enough so that the axle is raised between the mufflers and the
saddlebag support rail

Remove axle. Pay attention to how snug the castle nut feels when you take it off cuz there's no room to get a torque wrench in there with the muffs still on........

Tie down rear caliper with zip ties so it stays put for the next step

Lift bike up and away from the wheel

Since the lift doesn't raise the bike straight up the wheel will be tilted
once the lift is fully extended. When reversing the procedure ya gotta take care to line up the rotor and caliper as you *s l o w l y* lower the lift
down onto the wheel. The lift coming back down sorta unstraight means ya gotta do it in stages and line up the wheel so it's perpendicular to the
floor. Spreading the calipers n pads with the wheel off makes it easier to
get the disc back between 'em.

I slip the belt over the pulley before lowering the lift and get the large
spacer wedged between the pulley and the swingarm before everything is lined up and too cramped to do so.

Replacing the axle all the way through is easy until you get to the
left-side adjuster. It can be a tug of war doing it solo and getting the
lift at *just* the right height. It'd probably be much easier to back off
the adjuster a few turns and then twist it back where it was. I ain't never
been one to do things the *easy* way. Seems like cheating somehow.
Not a bad idea to have another set of hands to line up the wheel while you tap the axle through the last spacer, swingarm and adjuster.

If you don't touch the adjusters you won't have to adjust alignment or belt
tension. Everything will be same as it was.

Don't forget a *light* coating of anti-seize on the axle before you slip it
back in.

Dermot (stole it from a yahoo group!)

Ride on,

Like you stole it!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up taking it to the dealer and let him do it. But I saw how he did it so next time???????
Harleyhog, I like your suggestion and it makes sense. I have copied and pasted it into a file for next time. I think I will give it a shot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts