V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 98 flhr has started an intermittent popping while crusing at 55 or so. bike has 114,000 miles but ive put them all on it and maintained it well. i started last week and had only done it twice. sounded just like when a plug is fouled or fuel soaked and so forth. never quit running and cleared up quickly. i had a screaming eagle ignition module on it that probably had 90k miles on it. so i swapped it out with my stock one. been riding it for a week or so and all was ok. today it started doing it again and got worse. for like 6 miles or so until i got home. i have true duals on it. so i had my girl hold the throttle at an rpm where it started popping some. i felt both tailpipes and it was popping out of both at almost the exact same time. so,to me that would rule out a bad plug or a bad plug wire. i'm thinking if it were intake gaskets leaking or carb stopped up it would do it more often. battery is fresh. replaced both ground cables last week because the end in one would turn somewhat. havent replaced the postive cable yet. just wondering if any of you could point me in a direction that maybe youve run into this. hate to take it in to the shop yet because it so intermittent. bad coil or wire to the coil maybe? i also dont know much about that veos swith or whatever it is called under the tank. any simple diagnostics that i can run on it? ive got some extra time on my hands to try to remedy it. thanks in advance as always.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i forgot to mention. stock cv carb. stock ignition except for when i ran the s/e module.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Newbie here, but I have been doing my own work since 2000. I think I would discount the VOES as the problem source for the moment. As as the glitch is intermittent, I would lean towards a pinched wire or faulty ignition switch terminal initially.

There are coil tests in the manual (if you have one) you can do to prove or rule it out.

Basically, check all wiring (and pinch points) from the terminals incl ground points, ignition switch for corroded or bad terminals, general wiring from there to the ign module and coil. Try to re-create the problem while you are wiggling and (slightly) bending wires along the way. Since the fault shows up at 55mph could be just the right vibe range to create the fault if it is a bad spot in a wire.

Always start with the easy stuff first and work towards the more difficult. Sorry I can't point you to the actual problem, and good luck finding it.

Regards,

96FLSTNDOG
'96 FLSTN
'96 FLHT

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the quick reply. i appreciate it. i do have a service manual for the bike so i'll check out the coil test. i hadnt even thought about the ignition switch connections. it has slipped off before so i;ll look at that. thanks again. its my daily transportation so i'm trying to stay ahead the game.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE. got it fixed yesterday. checked all the stuff that i could with no results. realized that the intake gaskets were blown and decided to go ahead and replace them and the carb/intake boot which was split. on the test ride it was fine until i did a u turn and headed back to the shop and it started popping again. then noticed that in the shop it would run great while on the lift or while you were sitting on the bike. but if you let it run while on the side stand it would start popping. it had gotten water in the fuel tank. bike would run fine until you turned left and let that water bubble move to the petcock. drained the tank and blew out it out the best we could. runs like a champ. i would have bet anything that it was electrical. wrench that diagnosed it said he had seen a fellow replace all kinda parts once to find out it was water in the fuel. his experience sure helped me out. anyway,thats it. rolling again.

·
Obsolete Rider
1,728 Posts
Glad to see that you have it up and running.

Had an issue many years ago when a stepson bought about 3 gallons
of water when he got gas at a sation. What a mess.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
114,00 miles

Just a precaution this winter, you may want to inspect/replace your lifters, as a moco bulletin suggests this at 25,000.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we put an andrews ev23 cam and new lifters in at about 30,000 miles. which, that still puts me at 84,000 miles on the replacement lifters. i have often wondered how many miles to expect out of the new ones? would help if i remembered what lifters we put in but i dont. whats been your experience with this? thanks for the heads up.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Lifters

head said:
we put an andrews ev23 cam and new lifters in at about 30,000 miles. which, that still puts me at 84,000 miles on the replacement lifters. i have often wondered how many miles to expect out of the new ones? would help if i remembered what lifters we put in but i dont. whats been your experience with this? thanks for the heads up.
The old saying goes "that an once of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure." This is a textbook application of that.
The oil pump pick-up is just below the cam, and you do not want those pieces going in the pump, if a roller decides it is time to wave goodbye.
OE lifters are as good as anything in your application.
I'd check 'em.
Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts