V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a handlebar swap this weekend and ran my wire through the bars -- have done this before without a problem. But this time, when I was finished, all the lights worked as they should -- except for my right turn signal. The right front turn signal stays on as it should when the ignition is turned out, but when I hit the right turn switch, nothing. It doesn't blink. I've swapped the bulbs -- no luck. Even pulled the wires out of the handlebars and put a circuit tester practically against the right turn switch. There's juice there, but the damn thing won't blink. Figured it had to be the switch, so I put in a new one. Nothing. I'm out of ideas. Anyone else got any? I'd really appreciate it.

·
Banned
78 Posts
I know you replaced the switch, but I had a similar prob. What I finally found was the switch button had slipped off the pivot pin that is on the actuator. The housing was not aligned properly and it was binding the switch button and causing it to come off the pin.

Of course this is only if the rear right signal doesn't work also. If it does I would look at the "ground and work my way up".

I looked in the service manual for both my bikes to include the electrical diags. There wasn't anything like a flasher mentioned so I guess blinking is controlled through a capacitor.

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Black Magic said:
Relay problem maybe, or maybe a bad crimp?

I'm not sure where I'd find the relay. I think it's the same as the security module. And how would i test it? electrical stuff isn't my best subject.
And would that account for only one side going out and not the other? In a car, usually both signals stop working if the flasher goes out. I think so, anyway.

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spoker said:
I know you replaced the switch, but I had a similar prob. What I finally found was the switch button had slipped off the pivot pin that is on the actuator. The housing was not aligned properly and it was binding the switch button and causing it to come off the pin.

Of course this is only if the rear right signal doesn't work also. If it does I would look at the "ground and work my way up".

I looked in the service manual for both my bikes to include the electrical diags. There wasn't anything like a flasher mentioned so I guess blinking is controlled through a capacitor.
It's definitely not a crip. And I prettty much started from the battery, so I don't know how much closer to the ground I can get. I know it's not a crimp because I pulled all the wires out and let them hang loose and tried the switch. Still didn't work. I think it's possible it could have something to do with the turn signal/turn signal security module, but how I'd check it I don't know. From what I understand, the Thundermax unit that I have in place of the stock ECMcan sometimes cause the automatic turn signal shut off to malfunction, though this never happened to me. Could it have something to do with this? if so, it's never been a problem before. I'm just stumped. And of course, I'm not an expert in electrical systems.

·
Registered
98 Posts
check the voltage supply to the front and rear but make sure you touch the battery earth terminal. This will eliminate any grounding problems.

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

everybody for the replies. I found the problem. It was a crimp after all (I said electrical stuff wasn't my strong point :hystria: ). But now I have another question: anyone know how to crimping a deutsch socket on the end of a wire without spending several hundred dollars on a specialized tool? What a crock of ****.​

1 - 7 of 7 Posts