V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help removing the oil screen plug tappet. I even bought the tool to remove it and it's way to worn out to loosen it. Anyone have any suggestions on removing it?

I have thought about drilling a hole and using a bolt removal tool but these plugs are hollowed out to house a spring. I am afraid of drilling a hole through it and still not being able to get it out. here's a picture.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Gretch

In the photo, the slot appears pretty good..

Did you buy the Jims Tappet Filter Screw Plug Tool.?

The tool I use is a 1/2 drive socket "screw-driver" that slips into the slot.. Much like what an Impact driver uses..

Keep at it, you'll get it..

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you can't get it with Jim's tool, don't be afraid to take it to your local machinist. I would not drill or blast or lay on the floor and kick cheater pipes like I have been know to do. When I bring things like stripped out metric allen heads inside the forks, they consider it a compliment, and just remove them . After making fun of me a bit of course, but I like to give them that treat.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hey, I got a dremmel tool and cut the slot deeper which then allowed me to fit he removal tool better - in this case I used an impact driver, but the proper tool would work too. The main issue always seems to be that the slot is too shallow, do just make it deeper!

Make sure that you replace it with a socket head unit as they only cost $10 or so.

Cheers

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Gretch

In the photo, the slot appears pretty good..

Did you buy the Jims Tappet Filter Screw Plug Tool.?

The tool I use is a 1/2 drive socket "screw-driver" that slips into the slot.. Much like what an Impact driver uses..

Keep at it, you'll get it..
Yeah got Jims Tappet plug tool. As soon as I tried using it, it chewed up the slot. I tired it on the other 2 plugs on the oil pump and it worked fine. This plug is just not moving. Probably never been out since 93.

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
Spray some penetrating oil onto it, tap it every so often, then try it again.....can you get a vise grip in, maybe at an angle??

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
there's no need to check it. if you have any debris in it you have some major motor trouble. if your' motor is running good without any strange noises, leave it alone. just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Small drift punch and hammer worked for me after losing a lifter that took out the cam. I have the same opinion bagga.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spray some penetrating oil onto it, tap it every so often, then try it again.....can you get a vise grip in, maybe at an angle??
Yeah been doing that as well. Got a vise grip around it as well but no lock, it's just not budging.

Reason for removal was, one; to clean the screen, and two; install a oil preasure guage.

It's always the simplest task that becomes a nightmare. I'm sure I'll get it.

Thanks for all the help. At least I know I am on the right track.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My God I feel like an idiot

Man I feel like such an idiot, bought an oil guage from the local HD dealer for my 96 RoadKing, just the guage, no extension tube, went nuts replacing the dummy lite sending unit with a hardware store fitting to attach to the block and attack the guage to that fitting, it works fine but with all the chrome that fitting lookslousey to the sight. seeing Gretsch post with the pic of the oil guage attached to the tappet screen screw hole............I had no clue and why the heck did not the salesperson even mention t his......... ......like I said, a freckin idiot

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man I feel like such an idiot, bought an oil guage from the local HD dealer for my 96 RoadKing, just the guage, no extension tube, went nuts replacing the dummy lite sending unit with a hardware store fitting to attach to the block and attack the guage to that fitting, it works fine but with all the chrome that fitting lookslousey to the sight. seeing Gretsch post with the pic of the oil guage attached to the tappet screen screw hole............I had no clue and why the heck did not the salesperson even mention t his......... ......like I said, a freckin idiot
The reason I hooked mine up the way I did was I wanted too keep my idiot light as well as having a pressure gauge. ;)

·
Laughing Poseur
5,259 Posts
well....in the sales persons defense...its really not up to him to figure out what everyone is doing when they buy parts...a little homework always helps...its why we're here.

now ya know :)

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
The reason I hooked mine up the way I did was I wanted too keep my idiot light as well as having a pressure gauge. ;)
+1

The gauge is a diagnostic/reference tool. The red light is much better for saving the engine in the event of an oil pump failure.

·
Registered
767 Posts
A little late, but for extra stubborn bolts I spray them with penetrating oil, tap on them a few times, then I make sure the groove it good and I warm it with a torch if I can and allow it to cool, but in this case I would go to the grocery store and get some dry ice and put it on the head for a minute or two and it usually comes right out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts