V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Crazy as a Bastard
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past two summers I have had the fortune to travel on my Electra Glide. In 04 did a 6 week 11,000 trip and last summer with the wife towed the bike to Denver and rode Million Dollar Hwy, down to Utah and back up to Wy.

This summer I want to travel out of Denver again, ride south into New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and back to Denver. Anyone have some good road suggestions...if you got photos it would be nice.

TIA

JB

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I have always found the real rewarding trips were the ones where no route was planned. We take back roads and when we come to a crossroads, we break out the atlas and decide which direction to go next.....
Easy to do in the country you'll be traveling. I envy you being able to do that much time!
have fun, you'll get a ton a suggestions of places you never heard of and would never have picked. Most of em will be awesomE! ENJOY!

·
Crazy as a Bastard
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
adlerx said:
I have always found the real rewarding trips were the ones where no route was planned. We take back roads and when we come to a crossroads, we break out the atlas and decide which direction to go next.....
Easy to do in the country you'll be traveling. I envy you being able to do that much time!
have fun, you'll get a ton a suggestions of places you never heard of and would never have picked. Most of em will be awesomE! ENJOY!
agree with your format, but with my wife traveling and possible two other bikes, finding accommodations in the summer months at times can be challenging with the vacationers on the road. Not to mention...once you have no plans, everyone then has their opinion and things start to get out of control. Two summers ago, I rode from Maryland to San Francisco with some great rides in the Colorado area, then from San Fran. we rode the Pacific Coast Hwy. north into Canada, and back into the states in north Montana, it was absolutely awesome. Just three of us on that ride, no spouses, etc. One of my buddies planned the entire trip, including rooms in areas needed and I found all I had to do was wake up early, ask where we were headed today, and enjoy the sites! In 6 weeks time we never experience a full day of rain...oh, we did encounter some pretty strong thunderstorms with hail in two...but they were short lived. The wife will be riding this summer and not knowing the part of the country I want to ride, I figure its best to ask for some suggestions from those who have ridden the areas.:corn:

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Exactly when in the summer you will be travelling will have a lot to do with where you want to go in Arizona. The southern part of the state, for those that are not used to the heat, can be absolutely BRUTAL in July and August.

Teu

·
Registered
521 Posts
There's so many great things to see in that area that I wouldn't even know where to start. You really can't go wrong if you just do a little research. If your planning to see the Canyon, don't forget that there is an East gate as well as the South gate. It makes a great loop so you don't have to backtrack. The North rim is great too. I see you have done some riding out west so I'll assume you already know how important planning for gas stops can be. Also, you don't say what part of the summer you're planning the trip so be advised that July and August are the monsoon season with the possibility of some pretty bizarre weather. Anyway have a great trip, and who knows, we might even cross paths.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Just get one of the big Atlas's from WalMart and look for the roads with the dots next to them (scenic road). Can't hardly go wrong that way. Also ask the locals.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Teufelhunden said:
Exactly when in the summer you will be travelling will have a lot to do with where you want to go in Arizona. The southern part of the state, for those that are not used to the heat, can be absolutely BRUTAL in July and August.

Teu
It can be brutal for those of us that ARE used to it.

H

·
0 Posts
In no particular order:

Colorado:

Peak to Peak highway Rt.s 119, 72, and 7) with side trips through Coal Creek Canyon (Rt. 72) and Big Thompson Canyon (US 34). Pine Junction to Woodland Park (Rt.s 126 and 67), Independence Pass (Rt. 82), McClure Pass (Rt. 133), The Grand Mesa (Rt. 65 from I-70 to Cedaredge) All of the San Luis Valley, Highway 9 from Fairplay to Frisco, Ridgeway to Dove Creek via Norwood (Rt. 62, 145 and 141). Ignacio to Pagosa Springs through Arboles (Rt. 151). Wolf Creek Pass (US 160, between Pagosa Springs and Del Norte)., and you already mentioned the Million Dollar Highway (US 550 between Ouray and Silverton).

New Mexico:

The loop from Taos to Eagles Nest (US 64), to Red River, to Questa (Rt 38) and back to Taos (Rt 522). Espanola to Chama (US 84) then over Cumbres Pass (Rt 17) into Colorado.

Utah:

Route 261 between Rt 95 and US 163 (just north of Mexican Hat, UT). There is a spot here where the road is gravel for 3 miles. It takes you from the floor of the valley to the top of a cliff where you can see all of Monument Valley.

Harris

·
Registered
769 Posts
DesertRat said:
It can be brutal for those of us that ARE used to it.

Here is a tip for riding in the heat ... I take a long sleeve turtle neck .. like you would wear to ski ,,, ,i soak it in water ,, then put my darian light aerostitch jacket over the top with all the vents open ,,,, it works like an evaporator airconditioner .......We did that last fall in texas when it was 98 degrees with a heat index of like 106 ....it was very very comfortable ,,, but you did have to stop every 100 miles to soak down again ...and slug down a bottle of water ...... rat

·
Registered
521 Posts
ratt said:
Here is a tip for riding in the heat ... I take a long sleeve turtle neck .. like you would wear to ski ,,, ,i soak it in water ,, then put my darian light aerostitch jacket over the top with all the vents open ,,,, it works like an evaporator airconditioner .......We did that last fall in texas when it was 98 degrees with a heat index of like 106 ....it was very very comfortable ,,, but you did have to stop every 100 miles to soak down again ...and slug down a bottle of water ...... rat
Been there, done that...you can also get bandana thing (cooldanna) with little crystals that soak up water and turn to a cool jel, keeps you neck cool for quite a while, then just soak again and go.

·
Crazy as a Bastard
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks... not sure on the time of year yet... am aware of the heat factor and monsoon. may switch gears and go back to Montana / Canada... will see what time opens up and make that decision. Heard Sept. might be good time for New Mex./Arizona.

·
Registered
521 Posts
All of Northern AZ, Utah, and Colorado are ok even when the weather is hot in Southern AZ. I did some riding in that area last year during June and it wasn't bad at all. As you stated mid Sept is the beginning of prime riding season in AZ.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A great ride

Take 285 S. out of Denver (actually off of 470 loop) to Buena Vista, Hwy. 291. Head South on 291 which will become 285 at Saguache. Go to 160 and head West. This will take you over to Durango & Cortez. Out of Cortez, head South on 160 to Teec Nos Pos. Stay on 160 and you'll go through Indian Reservations (be aware...no fences so free-ranging animals) and take off North on Hwy. 98 just before Cow Springs to Page. At this point, you'll head into Utah on 89 through Big Water to Kanab. From here you can head to Zion Park and to St. George Utah for a short stay. Coming back, come back through Zion, up 89 then East on 12. This takes you past Bryce Canyon (another great stop). Keep headed East on 12 up to Torrey. Then get on 24 and head East, then north at Hanksville up to Interstate 70. This route will take you through Grand Staircase Nat'l Park.

This is an incredible ride. I did it last June right after buying my bike heading from Denver to Vegas. This ride will not disappoint.

·
Crazy as a Bastard
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DenverOgre said:
Take 285 S. out of Denver (actually off of 470 loop) to Buena Vista, Hwy. 291. Head South on 291 which will become 285 at Saguache. Go to 160 and head West. This will take you over to Durango & Cortez. Out of Cortez, head South on 160 to Teec Nos Pos. Stay on 160 and you'll go through Indian Reservations (be aware...no fences so free-ranging animals) and take off North on Hwy. 98 just before Cow Springs to Page. At this point, you'll head into Utah on 89 through Big Water to Kanab. From here you can head to Zion Park and to St. George Utah for a short stay. Coming back, come back through Zion, up 89 then East on 12. This takes you past Bryce Canyon (another great stop). Keep headed East on 12 up to Torrey. Then get on 24 and head East, then north at Hanksville up to Interstate 70. This route will take you through Grand Staircase Nat'l Park.

This is an incredible ride. I did it last June right after buying my bike heading from Denver to Vegas. This ride will not disappoint.
I've done most of that ride, not the exact route you gave...but it is incredible!!! A MUST.

·
Crazy as a Bastard
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Only I took Rt 50 into Gunnison then over to Rt 550, Million Dollar Hwy. down to Durango.

·
Crazy as a Bastard
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey DenverOgre... whats hwy 98 like thru the reservation... anything to see? Looks like you better be well fueled too????

·
Registered
46 Posts
jmbaker3 wrote...Hey DenverOgre... whats hwy 98 like thru the reservation... anything to see? Looks like you better be well fueled too????

There's not a ton to really see riding through the Reservation. The roads are good. It's more somewhere to go through to get to where you are going. When I went through back in June, they had just built the road, or repaved it headed North to Page and that was really nice. The ride through Wolf Creek Pass is great. Some parts of the route are a little dull, but as long as you're riding, how dull can it really be? Planning to do another Zion & Bryce ride at Christmas with my Brother whose never made that ride. It's worth seeing again.

Fueling is not really a problem as there are little gas stations along the entire route. I was doing 175 - 200 miles per tank in between stops and never had any issues.

Ogre

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have made pretty much the same trip two summers ago. You will pass through some amazing country. It's probably my favorite trip. The one mile long tunnel into Zion was cool, strange, but cool.

·
Registered
31 Posts
DenverOgre said:

From Hanksville I went southeast on #95 to Blanding on my way to Moab. Wow! One of my favorite roads ever. This vista overlooks the norther tip of Lake Powell, see the bridge?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I stopped for gas in Hanksville. I asked an oldtimer there "What's between here and Blanding?". He looked at me and said, "Desert, nothing but desert!" It was a cool ride though, I even went down to the marina that used to be at the end of Lake Powell. It's high and dry now, but does have gas.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts