V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a highly modified 99 Night Train and need some opinions on performance-price-ridability and reliabilty..

Motor was biuld by T-Man in N.C.

97"
10.5-1 Comp
Laser alligned
Motor is S&S case
Axtel barrels
custom heads
roller rockers
titanium rods
Profesionally
built with compression releases
Richmond 5speed back cut race trans
Carlini tourgue arm and trap door
super bandit clutch
He says it Equals 125hp at rear wheel

She also has:

New Avon Venoms
PM wheels with matching rotors and pulley
Custom ceramic coated pipes
Forks and trees are screaming eagle
Stretched Tank,fenders are custom made
and custom paint
Headwinds headlight
custom LaPera seat in calf leather

The bike looks and runs new,she has 9500 miles with only 1500 miles on the biuld..

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
jonno said:
I am thinking about buying a highly modified 99 Night Train and need some opinions on performance-price-ridability and reliabilty..

Motor was biuld by T-Man in N.C.

97"
10.5-1 Comp
Laser alligned
Motor is S&S case
Axtel barrels
custom heads
roller rockers
titanium rods
Profesionally
built with compression releases
Richmond 5speed back cut race trans
Carlini tourgue arm and trap door
super bandit clutch
He says it Equals 125hp at rear wheel

She also has:

New Avon Venoms
PM wheels with matching rotors and pulley
Custom ceramic coated pipes
Forks and trees are screaming eagle
Stretched Tank,fenders are custom made
and custom paint
Headwinds headlight
custom LaPera seat in calf leather

The bike looks and runs new,she has 9500 miles with only 1500 miles on the biuld..

Opinions are like a**holes everyone has one. Buy what you think your going to like to ride. If your not mechanical it doesn't matter what bike you buy it'll cost $$$$ to keep up the maintenance...

Just Ride....

{salute( :wavey: {salute(

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Personlly, I would shy away from a highly modded bike unless i knew the owner, and liked the way he rode it.

Some folks just run the crap out their bikes, which is OK since it is their bike...

Same with maintenace and the builder.

It seems like there may be more uncertainties in a modded bike than a stock one?

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Paladin1 said:
Personlly, I would shy away from a highly modded bike unless i knew the owner, and liked the way he rode it.

Some folks just run the crap out their bikes, which is OK since it is their bike...

Same with maintenace and the builder.

It seems like there may be more uncertainties in a modded bike than a stock one?
And some get sold on a build that is not at all right for them.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
route66paul said:
And some get sold on a build that is not at all right for them.

How true it is!!!!!

Just My -2$en#e- Worth

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This cat bought it after the biuld was done and isnt sure of all the mods..
He also said that he lets it rip every time he rides it so it doesnt sound like he babied it at all..I guess for the right price it's worth it...
Concensus on the value if she runs perfect?

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
jonno said:
This cat bought it after the build was done and isn't sure of all the mods..
He also said that he lets it rip every time he rides it so it doesn't sound like he babied it at all..I guess for the right price it's worth it...
Concensus on the value if she runs perfect?

Let'er RIP.............:thumbsup: :whistle: :thumbsup:

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Where are the stock cases?? You would have a bike that does not have a matching VIN. The bike should be a special construct now as the vin does not match. That might be a issue when you register it , as well doe he have the MSO for the cases??

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He does not have the stock cases or much of any documentation..
He does in fatc have a clean HD Vin # Title..

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
He may have a clean title but it is not matching that case vin. You have three vins that need to match to have a CLEAN hd title. Engine, frame, and tranny. And without a MSO for the current case you cannot even properly register the bike. This is a federal law that states this.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW I did not know this..
He better be prepared to take less for the bike or I may pass on it..

In looking at the mods would you consider it a reliable bike and also what do you think it is worth?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
well, that that drivetrain is some expensive stuff but, not worth much on a bike resale unlesss he can find someone who just has to have it. What's he trying to get. If you really like it and are looking for a bike, try to steal it. Shouldn't be worth as much as a near stock 99 Train with the same milage, the engine case thing could be an issue for many buyers especially if you live in a state that inspects vehicles routinely. Lowball him if he doesn't take it, leave it open, tell him to call if he changes his mind. $8500 (and don't start you guys, I know the drivetrain was more than that) it's just what I would offer.... Than of course, I'm a cheap basterd!

·
MaxHeadflow
1,344 Posts
"He may have a clean title but it is not matching that case vin. You have three vins that need to match to have a CLEAN hd title. Engine, frame, and tranny. And without a MSO for the current case you cannot even properly register the bike. This is a federal law that states this."

Are you sure about this? I've always thought this up to the state not federal goverment. As far as tranny got the state of Kalifornica don't care since it's not on the title. When I did my last bike the CHP could care less about the tranny MSO. This is not to say that some states don't require it. As far as I know the only things the feds control is emissions and safety for mass produced cars. It's up to the state to take care of the rest..

As far as the bike goes. T-man has a very good repuation. I'd check to see if the title show the correct SN on the motor and go from there. If the owner did not correct the title, then I'd look for an MSO or see what the reqiurements are in the state that you live. Call the you state DMV.

As far as price goes, it's probably more about what you want to pay and how the local market is doing. I'm seeing bikes in the local traders going for 8 to 10K for 98-99 softails. Not sure if they are selling for that much.. How much does a nice T man motor add? Don't know.

Bruce

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
In Mi. the title goes with the frame, unless it's an older H-D that had no frame numbers, only motor numbers. You can have an aftermarket engine or cases and still register the bike. If you ever get questioned you'd better have the MSO or they can seize the cases.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
If I were you I would call your Dept Of Motor Vehicles and speak with someone who can tell you what is needed for your state on title requirements vs what numbers are required. It's your money though. I've heard various requirements all over the board on the forums. Hard to tell who is right for the state you live in.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I am stating what I heard now it may have been wrong but I did get that info from the DMV. Now here in AZ you must have all three matching numbers from hd to have a hd title if you do not then it gets done as a custom bike. Now there are many bikes here in az, ca and nv that have been seized due to issues with vin numbers. I would check with your state first as well to put insurance on a custom bike here in az it will cost almost triple in fees. Now there is a end run around that deal. Get a custom builder with a manufacturing lic to sticker the bike. It is legal as long as the fees are paid. Why it is that way ?? I have no I idea the last two bikes we built have are HD vin so I have no issues with them.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
IMO, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a correctly built engine with components that complement one another. You say this bike was built by T-man, so I would have no worries over it being built correctly, or that the components work together as they should.

You didn't mention cam or actual compression - or CCP. A rule of thimb is that CCP in the 180 - 190 range is a good idea for driveability. Some builds go beyond that and seem to have few issues - Underground builds for example - but typically much beyond that and you'll need to be sure you can live with the demands of the motor. IE - you may need to use compression releases for hot restarts, you may have some pinging under certain conditions, need 93 octane etc. With the build on this bike - I'd call T-man and ask what's in it and how it will drive under the conditions you're most concerned with.

My build is similar to the one you list. I've run it for 3 years now and have about 10K miles on it. I've had no issues at all and road manners are as good as stock. My -2$en#e- -- that could be one hell of a solid, fun bike.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She is at 10.5-1 compression and I am not sure on the Cam..
I would think she will be a blast to ride..
Is there anything in particular I should look for or listen to when I take it for a test ride next week?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
jonno said:
She is at 10.5-1 compression and I am not sure on the Cam..
I would think she will be a blast to ride..
Is there anything in particular I should look for or listen to when I take it for a test ride next week?
I'd look for LEO in the rear view mirror when you twist the wick and HOlD ON!:laugh:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts